1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering my first MLB Game, any advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Apr 24, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The first few times I went to an MLB clubhouse, it was to work on a couple of features, but I also chatted up with some of the writers, watched what was going on and after the game, I followed the pack to see what happens during the post-game. Don't be afraid to talk to the regular beat guys or even any national reporters that may be there.

Since you're there to cover the guy throwing out the first pitch, you probably won't need to talk to any players, but if you find yourself in the clubhouse in close proximity to a player, I wouldn't be afraid to make small talk with a guy. Don't just come out of the blue and try to tell your life story or anything, but if it seems appropriate and the guy seems to be in a decent mood, go up and ask.

Oh, one more thing: when no one's looking, swipe a few balls & a jersey, then stuff it down your shirt & walk out like nothing happened. I highly recommend wearing cargo pants. ;D

2. I am also doing a feature story on a member of the Reds team.
    Thanks for all the advice and notes.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since you are there anyway, check both rosters for a local connection or other stories you can do that will give you some direction in the locker room. I don't imagine a kid throwing out a first pitch is going to be Tolstoy or if it even qualifies for a locker room pass.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can't imagine doing an entire story about a ceremonia first pitcher, even if it's a kid. Especially if it's the CEO of team sponsor variety. Standalone pic. Anyway, what Elliotte said. Observe. Be seen and not heard. If you're doing a feature about one of the players, get that work out of the way before the game. If that means you get there three hours before the first pitch, so be it. You'll be getting in everyone else's way if you try to do that interview afterward, and you're likely as not to get stiffed on the interview. After the game, the players want to go home.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My first one I just watched the vets and followed their lead as far as where to go, etc. It was actually a lot of fun, Cliff Lee of the Indians was my first MLB interview and was nice, especially since he pitched well. That put me at ease a little.

But just go and have fun, get paid to watch a game and don't do anything that wll get your ass kicked by one of the players. And don't fall asleep like that one guy, that's too funny.

6. maybe i should have been clear with the kid throwing out the first pitch. In January, this kid was in a bad school bus wreck in which the bus driver had amounts of coke, pot and alcohol in her system. Anyway, he spent three months in the Cincinnati Children's Hospital. He just got out last week and will now throw out the first pitch at a game next week. My editor told me to get a story on it, and I wasn't going to pass up going to cover a pro baseball game.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a safe bet some of the Reds players will chat the kid up before the game. You can ask the ones who do for their thoughts. Unless they're on an 0 for 34 run, they won't mind.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Giving that this story has " recovery / Drug angle You might want to talk to Josh Hamilton and get his take

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Haha, that sounds like a grand idea. "Josh, this kid almost died because of a dumbass cokehead. Thoughts?"

Draft saved Draft deleted