1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering my first MLB Game, any advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Maybe for you, Tom.

But not necessarily for someone covering their first game.

I'm just glad you think I'm effing brilliant.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe you mock because not everybody communicates the way you do while sitting home having a beer. and maybe if the kid is able to read obvious sarcasm, he surely now knows NOT what to do.

maybe, just maybe, that's just as valuable as "call the club's media folks before you go. they'll get you set up."

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Especially since I've seen credentialed members of the media do exactly what I posted at Wrigley Field and the Cubs Convention. But way to call me a member of "the idiot brigade," Elliotte.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

We'll agree to disagree, Tom. Fair enough.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

last time i checked, players were a touch shy of cellies, as well.

6. Write-Brained is a proud member of the Idiot Brigade.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

8. Fucking moron.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, it's a god damned good think the little elf-like dude isn't holding a cellie, or he'd probably get his ass kicked.

10. My first MLB game I covered I walked into the clubhouse with a digital recorder in my hand. The PR guy thought it was a camera and jumped all over me (not too loud, but enough to try and embarrass me) and told me to put my camera up. I dangled it in front of his face and said, "It's OK. It's a recorder."

He was nice after that. MLB PR guys can be major pricks. I was just the youngest one there covering my first game with professional baseball players all around me, so obviously I was nervous enough already. This guy didn't help out.

11. boots

boots New Member

Enjoy the experience kid. Soak it in. Ask questions. Don't just blend into the scenery. Make contacts. You'll never know what may happen down the road.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Considering Palmetto is there to be getting a story about the kid throwing the first pitch, should he really be asking for manager and general manager availabilities if he doesn't regularly cover the team? Isn't that getting in the way of people who actually have reason to be talking to those people?

Draft saved Draft deleted