1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering Monday's exhibition game at Rupp Arena? You'll get no help.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Aug 10, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So DeWayne Peevy, the SID from UK (BUT NOT FOR THIS EVENT, DEAR GOD, NOT FOR THIS EVENT, THIS IS A STANDALONE EVENT!), sent out this reply to people who had been approved for credentials for Monday night's game between Calipari's Dominican national team and former UK players.

Good luck, everyone!

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The prep guys can get by without notes or quotes.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Better tinkle before you leave home, boys. Doesn't specify that bathrooms are open to the hated media.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have to laugh at this one. You mean the reporters might actually have to keep score? Gosh.

I'm sure it would constitute some type of NCAA crusade if UK said it was involved with this thing. Has to be why they won't be "affiliated" with it.

5. imjustagirl

OK, I'm going to try to explain this to those of you who have never covered UK:

1.) I don't think that lot even goes for more than $10 for fans at UK games.
    2.) The upper deck media seating is no less UK's than the courtside seats.
    3.) Prep guys aren't sitting THAT far away when they're keeping score.
    4.) The seating, the media workroom, etc. are all part of Rupp Arena. Far as I know. UK doesn't ship them in for games.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, what NOT UK is saying is that they'll let you cover the game, but you'll have to pay $12 to park, sit in the upper deck and won't get any place to work after the game.

I imagine 99.99 percent of high school reporters have it better than that.

7. Will they have a roster available somewhere? Will they let you look at the official scorebook at the end of the game? Will the guy running the PA offer to get you a hot dog at halftime that you will have to politely turn down? If not, then yes, the preps guys will have it better.

8. imjustagirl

Dude, take the hot dog. I never made enough to afford concessions when I was doing preps. :D

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It sounds as if the company renting out Rupp Arena won't pay anyone to do any real media relations work. How many people will attend the game?

10. imjustagirl

A chance to see Calipari and former UK players? I wouldn't be surprised if they drew 10-15K. Probably around 8, but they could definitely top 10.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't understand this at all. I covered a team that went to another country to play exhibitions and the SID sent back quotes and box scores after every game. Granted, that was with the actual team, not a bunch of alumni playing against some national team, that I'm assuming Calipari is using as another way to cheat. :D

I guess let me ask the dumb question... Why can't UK be affiliated with this game?

12. imjustagirl

Holy shit, the pre-sale sold out.

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/07/31/1829730/john-clay-uk-alumni-exhibition.html

Draft saved Draft deleted