1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering Little League Opening Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nate41, Apr 25, 2011.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Just wait till you get to All-Star season ... that's when it gets fun.

One parent actually bought air on the local AM radio station to broadcast the state tournament and invited me to do play by play since I was covering anyway. I said only if you do color and he agreed.

Well, in extra innings, his kid makes an error that costs a go-ahead run. You want an awkward moment? And then the only thing I could think of saying "You still love him, right? Not going kick him out of the house?" And dad just cracked up and to this day, we laugh about that game....

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One of the things I did as a teen-ager was play-by-play for the local town radio station on the district tournament all-star games. Very fond memories. It was a rite of summer to get 1,000 or so folks in the Little League stadium for games against our neighboring rivals.

Also, throughout high school, I wrote a weekly Little League "column"; i.e., a feature on one of the top players in the 10 or so local leagues, and notes from around those leagues.

The only time I started having issues with Little League, I think, was when I got around a bunch of sportswriters who had issues with Little League.

3. Sports Tick

Sports Tick New Member

Definitely some type of photo package followed by season results in brief or agate form.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

This is one of the little things "The Bad News Bears" gets so right.
    Little League Opening Day actually used to be a pretty big fucking thing from a civic standpoint.
    High school bands would get rolled out and Rotary Clubs and Cub Scout packs mobilized.
    A dead part of our past, gone forever.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, it's still that way in some places. My hometown plays in a league with two other towns, and they have a little parade and a large ceremony with a ton of people there. The weather didn't cooperate where I am now though - the Opening Day ceremony was canceled after they tried to reschedule it twice.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Local LL has added the Challenger Division (for handicapped youngsters), so it made for a pop fly feature .... http://bit.ly/j0sGWN

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing wrong with feature stuff, Shottie... It's when parents expect full coverage that causes problems.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Did that too, amigo.

Flowery 18" gamers making celebrities of 10-year-olds who could strike out 18 batters in six innings. Ah, how the parents loved my ass.

;)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm told it is supple....

Draft saved Draft deleted