1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering high school bowling? Know this style rule about Baker format games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Robert Carter, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My first job the retired sports editor who still worked part time was the bowling editor but when he retired my boss said I would now be the bowling editor. Thankfully, another part-timer was a legit kegler and took the reins.

In high school our gym class had a bowling unit. Like a week in the lanes, then a final test, where you had to identify terms such as, yes, kegler and turkey, although I don't remember Baker Format. But it wasn't the most rigorous of schools so maybe a better school would have included it in the exam. The finale was having to score like 5 mock games, which the teacher drew up on the chalkboard.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Two pages on covering high school bowling. I love the internet.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the old days here, this could have been 10 pages. Our beloved founder certainly would have had plenty to add.

4. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

I came here recently, but I have heard about the "old days here." :)

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I covered high school bowling for the paper I worked for in Tennessee back in 2003 or so. It was awesome. Settle in the back with a Pepsi and some slightly stale nachos. Faint smell of cigarette smoke hanging in the air. Some of the kids were actually really good. There are worse ways to spend a couple hours.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Noob, I still regret the day I questioned if one could really get a college bowling scholarship.
    Now hurry up with those beers.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

For a time at my former stop, a PBA Tour event come through town. Having bowled nearly my entire life (I prefer duckpins, which should give you some idea of where I'm from since it's only a thing in three states), I offered to cover it. It was fantastic. The bowlers actually gave you insightful comments because they enjoyed the publicity, and I got to cover Rhino Page's first win. I enjoyed it so much that even though I left the paper that winter, I offered to cover it as a freelancer the next year and the bowlers (including Rhino) were just as personable.

Now that I am teaching, Connecticut has a high school bowling championship (no leagues, but just a one-time deal). I've thought about getting a group together but for one reason or another just haven't done it yet. I also see that FS1 is showing bowling again after ESPN essentially buried it.

8. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Duckpins! I love 'em. Every time I am in the Baltimore-Washington area I bowl some ducks, at least four games. High game is 138. Hoping to try candlepins if i make it to New England this year.

Glad to see the PBA on FS1, too. I miss Chris Schenckel (sp?).

Draft saved Draft deleted