1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering games on your own time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I read it more as an observation that the other writers gravitated toward a player who was actually willing to talk to the press, not as a gripe about them "horning in," but I could be wrong ...

Edit: yup, based on the post below, I was wrong. Never mind.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

As a younger journalist (less than 5 years in the business)... would i do this? Absolutely. In fact, i'm going to do some of it this summer. I definitely think it's something to be used for the experience, to get some high-quality "big boys"-style clips, and see how some of the top writers do their craft.
    If someone like that is working his (or her) butt off, why not? It'll be helpful for later. Of course, I would hate it if someone got a credential and just stood there and watched. that's fuckin' annoying.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was referring to people who were covering those games for free, not people who do it for a living. I meant people who might cover one or two games a year for the experience, not the grunts who work 70 hours a week on the beat.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I do. Maybe because I do still have fun.

5. Actually, the games themselves are fun. It's the 60 hours of drudgery, of "I just want to help the team" that goes on between the games that kind of sucks. That's what I meant - it seems glamorous when you show up to two games on your off day. But it's the tip of the iceberg of what really goes on when you cover one of these beats.

A word of caution to everyone heading to "big boy" events to garner clips. Don't. Get your clips off of your preps or small college or local beats. That's where you're going to find clip-worthy stories. That's where you're going to be able to go in-depth enough to do the real reporting that's going to impress editors, in the event that some day they have openings to fill again.

I've been close enough to my editors that I've looked through clips packets that come in. The ones that stick an NFL gamer on top like it's going to impress us usually get tossed first. It's so transparent. You want to work on your off day? You're much better off, in the short term and the long term, using those hours to do some extra reporting on an issues story you're working on. Or to spend a few hours in the library doing some research that will make your story that much better (here's a tip to get ahead - most reporters I know are allergic to research beyond just interviewing people. You get your ass in a library or a courthouse once in a while and go document hunting, you gain a major, major advantage).

I can understand covering one of these games just to get the feel for it, maybe even do a little bit of networking (though that can be a dubious proposition. There are some real dickhead beat packs out there. Luckily not mine - but don't go to an MLB game, for example, looking to network). But if you're really wanting to use your off days to get ahead and improve yourself, I think going to an NFL game isn't always the place.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

And whatever you do, don't sit in the press box and call your friends and loudly say stuff like, "You won't BELIEVE where I am! I'm the press box at (insert logo here) Stadium! This is so COOL! You won't believe who I just said hi to - DON BANKS! Oh ... my ... GOD!!!"

Won't go over well.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you couldn't even hear that guy make that cell call if you were working a game at safeco. you guys are hyperfuckingsensitive.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When I have to rush to do my job during the week because OT isn't allowed, I'm not going to go cover a game three hours away just to get "big boy" clips.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the writing that impresses editors and not the team you are covering. You're not going to get much even if someone is writing a "local boy makes the bigs"-type of feature.

As for seeing how other writers do their job, not much different than what I do. They watch a game, see trends, ask good question, and write. Nothing too exciting to see.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If any of you guys don't think it's beneficial for a younger writer to watch how the "big boys" handle interviews, you're sadly mistaken. I guess all you hardasses knew everything there was about the business when you were cutting your teeth. Me? I'm gonna take in as much as I can to get better, in any way, shape or form.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

No, they only came over to cherry-pick because they saw a player talking to a couple of other writers away from the herd. And they were a herd. I think one of them mooed. It was actually funny to watch them move in and start writing everything down until they realized we were interested more in the player and his perspective on the NFL than what happened in the game.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good for you. Keep on working for nothing on your own time/dime. Your boss appreciates it.
    Oh, and don't bitch the next time you work a 60 hour week without getting any OT. After all, you volunteered your time when it suited your purpose ...

12. Do you have the first clue what it's like to have to churn out about four stories on a tight deadline after an NFL game with 100 other media members scrambling around the locker room?

You might want to tone down the snickering at people who have been doing this a hell of a lot longer than you. Is the herd mentality perfect? Hell no. Is it a necessary evil after the game? Absolutely. Those same guys you're making fun of are competing against each other all week long for scoops, doing some real reporting. Again - the games are the tip of the iceberg. The post-game locker room is the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but you're coming off like a self-righteous little snot right now.

I repeat - your reporting - your journalism - is going to sell you to the next employer. Not an NFL gamer or a local-boy-makes-big 22-inch feature.

Draft saved Draft deleted