1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering football and MMQB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MonitorLizard, Jun 11, 2007.

1. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Just reading today's Monday Morning Quarterback, and I notice Peter King goes into pretty specific detail about some of the plays the Patriots were running. I don't have a lot of experience covering NFL camps, but when I did some Pats coverage last year, I was told that such specifics were frowned upon. Now, obviously I'm no Peter King, but is this over the line? Or was I just too easily cowed because of my inexperience?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/06/11/mmqb/index.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, Peter king is frowned upon...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am sure the NCAA frowns upon it, so Mr. King should bow to them.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

It wasn't really that in depth. I'm sure Belichick isn't pissed at him. Every team in the NFL runs four receiver sets. King didn't tell any defensive coordinator out there anything he wouldn't know from watching film.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Yeah, as much as I'd like to goof on Peter King just because it's fun and often deserved, this is pretty standard.

Now if he had described Brady throwing a WR screen that was really a lateral to Welker 3 yards behind the line, and Welker faked throwing to Brady running a short pattern but threw instead to Moss in the end zone, that would be a different story. Trick plays aren't supposed to be reported for obvious reasons, although I've known at least one veteran NFL scribe who screwed up during spring mini-camp and reported one.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

This is the part that gave me a moment of pause:

"Matt Leinart may yet prove he's a pretty fair quarterback, but so far in Phoenix some might say he's a better hitter than thrower. The other day he took batting practice at Chase Field -- 330 down the lines, 374 to the power alleys -- and hit three out of the ballpark."

Indeed, hopefully a guy who did just about everything you can do in college and had a solid rookie year can someday prove he's a "pretty fair" QB. Or maybe King was just joking, I don't know . . . . .

And his Sopranos stuff . . . . . now I see it was just King messing himself over all the Jersey locations.

Draft saved Draft deleted