1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

covering first MLB game tomorrow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Halpert, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Assuming it's hot, offer to run cold drinks for all the veteran writers.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

hoops -- ever notice it's always the tv guys?

not sayin' anything. just sayin'.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Shut up and fetch me a mother fucking beer, pussy ass newbie bitch!

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

how 'bout a nice tall glass of penis envy?

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think you understand the rules around here. If I tell you to fetch me a beer, you fetch me a beer. Either that, or I beat you up. Your call.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Don't be intimidated by either the players or the other writers -- even if they seem snarky.  I once was in the same position, and I know how it feels.

Just remember, you have every right to be there.

When you approach a player, be polite but confident. More often than not, baseball players are pricks. If they sense weakness, they'll make up some lame excuse not to talk to you and walk away.

7. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, looking back on the day now, I think it went pretty well. It was pretty overwhelming walking into the place, but I got my stories and managed to enjoy myself. Literally got lost a few times (turned the wrong way down the hallway looking for the elevator to go back up to the press box from the clubhouse), but I managed by asking employees and introducing myself to other writers.

I wasn't able to get there as early as I wanted due to the hours of my second job that I work in the mornings, but the time really flew by once i was there. Was working on my feature during the early innings of the game and almost forgot to watch. Like anything else in life, I'm sure I'll be more comfortable as I go and do it more and more.

Thanks again for the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted