1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

covering first MLB game tomorrow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Halpert, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My first game was Sox-Yanks at Fenway, and I got reamed a new one by a Sox bozo exec. Jerk.

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Free press box food? Which team do YOU cover???

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

What is the offer for, because i saw him a few months ago?

4. the clubhouse should be open 3.5 hours before the game starts. Home players start heading to stretching/BP around 4:15ish for a 7:05 game and visitors at around 5:15.

Recently at a manager's pregamer, some intern from the local paper called Joe Girardi "coach." He ignored it, but the local AP guy was kind enough to take the kid aside so he won't get screamed at by the next manager.

(Yeah, what is this "free food" you speak of?)

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

wow, some folks here haven't covered much mlb

ok, first off, bring some cash for food. at my local park it's $7. i know some here love to generalize and talk about all we care about is food, but when you get to the ballpark at 2:30 and don't leave til midnight? you may want to eat at some time. and make sure you do that before the game. my place packs it up after the game starts.

secondly, if this is a feature and not really game-result related, do all your interviews BEFORE the game. before the game is great for general stuff and after the game is for that game specific stuff.

that, of course, is unless it's the starting pitcher. decorum says nobody bothers the starting pitcher before the game

if you're going to talk to the manager, ask the pr guy if the manager has a regular pre-game meeting time for the writers. once you get there, let the beat guys get their day-to-day stuff out of the way before you get into your specific feature-y questions. it's just common courtesy you'll appreciate one day when you're a beat guy.

and finally, have fun.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

The best advice I can offer is this...

Stay out of the way of the TV people and you just must survive...

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Newbies to MLB, cut and paste Hoops' post.

He nails it.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Don't call Mike Hargrove "coach."

9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Jacobs Field packs the grub up in the seventh. So, the food time is all relative. But, the Indians make you line the Dolans pockets, too.

But, definitely try to get your guy early. That way, you can take in everything without having to try to find your guy afterwards and rush. While the first time can be a lot to take in, you'll find it easier and may find your guy in a better mood if you get him early. You're risking a lot if you wait until after the game.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

More of a profile-writing tip than a baseball tip, but talk to as many people as possible about your subject. And, if possible, do it before you talk to your subject. Talk to the guys whose lockers are near his. Talk to everybody. You'll never be able to portray someone with 100 percent accuracy, but a composite picture derived from conversations with 15 people will be a lot more accurate, and interesting, than a three-source story (player, manager, teammate X). Also, talk to his high school coach, to his parents, to his college coach (if he went to college).

Biggest advice is to observe. Watch him in the locker room. Watch him take batting practice. Listen to how he interacts with teammates. Don't just watch him at the plate, or in the field. Watch him in the on-deck circle, in the dugout. Anywhere but in the shower. You don't want to be a pecker checker.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like this.

Pecker checker, huh?

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

local nine had a nickname for one tv guy -- 'meat gazer'

Draft saved Draft deleted