1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVERING Election Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How often have you worked news side in your career, Baron?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two years, plus pitched in on emergencies and ....Election Night.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Did you not work hard those two years? Did you only have two long nights in that time?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The reporter I worked with on a six-part series examining every aspect of the finances of each of our three local school districts didn't work that hard because she never wrote a high school football gamer in 20 minutes.

5. Baron Scicluna

Sure, but my experience has been that it's usually one or two reporters who are either covering a board meeting, or late-breaking crime news. They also don't do it every night, unless it's their beat.

A lot different than tracking 60 results a night, writing two stories and a brief, and copy editing, and paginating, on the vast majority of nights. Election night is once a year.

6. Baron Scicluna

Are we defining long nights in terms of writing one story on deadline, or writing two stories, a brief, and taking multiple results?

7. MisterCreosote

Covering crime and courts, in the absence of major news, I usually wrote three or four 10-inchers, a handful of briefs, and the entire police blotter every day. When that was done, I'd sit and listen to the scanner in case we had to chase a page for something big.

I'm going to bow out of this dick measuring contest, but will just say that the next time you pick this fight, you may want to brush up on at least the bare essentials of the news side first.

8. Baron Scicluna

Our "Projects Editor" used to win multiple awards for their typically two- or three-part monthly series on the same subject each and every month. Of course, that was all they ever wrote. Not like they spent a lot of time on the cops beat, and for the most part, when another reporter would ask them for help with a project, they would be told to write a FOIA letter.

9. Baron Scicluna

Again, sounds like a similar workload to sports. Only much of your stuff was early.

10. MisterCreosote

So, what do you want? A medal?

Working on deadline "more" doesn't mean you're "better" than anyone else at it. It certainly doesn't mean you're a better journalist.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable anecdote to apply to every news-side employee in the entire field.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Baron, why do you think a news sider would refer to sports as the toy department?

Draft saved Draft deleted