1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVERING Election Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Nov 4, 2014.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

We (and by that, I mean I) had four local council seats open, but only one was contested and that was a foregone conclusion. One state senate race, one state house race. Results were about 40 minutes late being posted, which was all sorts of awesome. Once initial results came out, immediately put them on Facebook and Twitter. Then quick story with initial results. Then tracked down where the winners were for photos and interviews, called the seven other people, updated the initial story with quotes and did another round of Facebook/Twitter. Print version will have two stories (local races, state races/state measures) with fresh pics and more quotes.
    Boss didn't even bother coming in tonight. And I've yet to have election night pizza, which kinda irks me. I believe I'm 0-for-6 now.

2. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

I was just gonna post a thread about Election Day pizza when I saw this thread.

Our paper gets pizza for everyone working that night -- news desk, sports desk, photo, web, part-timers, if you're there you get pizza. Most of the news desk doesn't treat sports like crap when it comes to the pizza, but there are always a few who -- even though they didn't pay one cent -- act like sports has no right to any of it. Then they make snide remarks as we're get our slices.

On the flip side, if sports ever has food these same people believe they're entitled to it. On one occasion, a co-worker actually bought pizza for everyone in the sports department and immediately people from other departments were circling like vultures. One guy from the news desk got pissed off that he wasn't getting any pizza and actually said that sports shouldn't get Election Day pizza then.

3. Most of the election stuff here now is computerized.
    Newspaper deadlines? The results are all in by 9:15.
    Plenty of time for pizza.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was a newssider most of my career. I never ate the pizza, just so I wouldn't have to listen to sports people whine about it.

They sure as hell weren't bitching and moaning about news' inability to work on deadline when they asked me to pick up a few Friday night football pages every goddamn week.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now you're talking.

One of my old bureaus had an annual Thanksgiving lunch (paper buys the bird, everyone else brings the sides) and I swear some of the advertising folks started lingering around the kitchen at 9 a.m.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You just came screaming out of the womb ready to punch deadlines right in the pussy, didn't ya?

[/quote]
    Really? They couldn't handle it? Puff yourself up there, buddy.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I helped where I could yesterday, helping produce videos for the newsroom, then laughed at the stress knowing the daily grind we have in sports. Our news editor, a former sports guy, told us sports siders to get it out of our system early, so we did.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Postscript: Upon further review, our "no pizza for the sports desk" edict was overturned. We also moved up sports deadlines to clear the decks for late election coverage, and several sports copy editors pitched in at the end of their shifts and edited election files (for which the news desk chief expressed his appreciation).

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What's this? Teamwork? We'll have none of that here!

I mean, next thing you know we'll have Democrats and Republicans working together.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Really? They couldn't handle it? Puff yourself up there, buddy.
    [/quote]

Not talking about myself. Very hard-working colleagues. A lot of great deadline work while spending little time talking about how tough they have it.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Covering an election, or a fire, or a murder, on deadline is much harder than covering a few football games on deadline.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Tough thing about covering elections now — besides my earlier rant about our county's slow-as-molasses posting of vote totals — is you don't get as much election night reaction/emotion from the candidates.

My first few years in the biz, election night parties with candidates were PARTIES. We're talking two-fisted drinking, drunken arguments, great gossip a-plenty. Phones in the backroom of bars/restaurants ringing with results from the courthouse, and great reaction photos when results were updated/announced.

In 2014? Candidates huddled over laptops or peering at gadgets, often in private homes rather than in public eating/drinking establishments. Or there's a formal, totally-scripted political party function in the bigger cities, where you get a canned speech and posed family pictures on the podium.

It's almost as boring as watching Republicans sweep every office worth having in Idaho ...

Draft saved Draft deleted