1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering blowouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Sep 22, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm preparing to cover another blowout, which will be the fourth in a row. I've written everything there is to write about this team while still maintaining my dignity. I need them to lose, or play poorly, or beat somebody really good. Something.

Unfortunately, none of that is going to happen tonight. Any suggestions?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Do you own a flask?

3. I take notes on the first two quarters or the first 50 points, whichever comes first. Then, I sip some bourbon for the third quarter while writing. I usually nod off early in the fourth and wake up in time to file with the final score.

4. at this point, i can only echo mike. sorry dude (you have no idea how hard it was to type this!)

5. joe

joe Active Member

Find something specific (player who usually doesn't play much; career night for a backup, that sort of thing) and focus on that as a way to tell the gamer without having to write about the blowout nature and the usual bullshit coach quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted