1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering an NHRA event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

If you've never been, then you have no clue how loud it is down by the starting line. The plugs they give you to put in your ears don't do shit. It's so loud you feel it deep in your chest, like the sound is in there bouncing off your ribs.

As others have said, the access to the drivers and their teams is outstanding.

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Actually, the glass in the media center vibrates a bit, but you shouldn't need earplugs unless you're standing at the starting line. Which you shouldn't be doing unless you're a photographer.

3. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

Even though it doesn't have anything to do with Pro Stock, you definitely be in the near vicinity when the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes are on track. Ain't nuthin' like it. We could all live another two centuries and broadcast technology will NEVER give you that in-person feel for what it's like. Those cars were only putting out about 2,000 horsepower back when I started covering racing in '78 and now it's up around 7,500 (or whatever number the TV guys make up). Whatever the real number is, I swear, if you're down where the photogs are, you WILL get a buzz from the electrical field the ignition systems in those cars creates. And there honestly is a shockwave that'll kick you in the chest near the finish line.

Damn, why can't I cover this stuff every day?!?!?! Gimme nitro, baby!

4. cubman

cubman Member

Jeff Gluck is right. Lucky me that Hillary Will was the first NHRA driver I interviewed when I went to Vegas earlier this year to get research for the race in my area.
    Everything I've read here seems spot-on. Force is hilarious ... one-on-one is good enough, but he's at his absolute element in a group setting. I hadn't covered any drag racing and really didn't know a lot about it before I went to Vegas, but the racers and PR people are extremely helpful [Densmore (Force's PR guy), Judy Stropus, Mickey Schultz, Joe Sherk and the Knapps come to mind] and really don't make you feel stupid if you're learning.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Everything written above is right on. I covered an NHRA event my first year in the business and the access was incredible. And yes...there are grill-side interviews.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you gotta go out there (with ear plugs) early just to get a feel of those badboys taking off

if you've got to do an entire event, don't worry about story ideas, the pr folks beg you and all but blow you to do their stories and they're usually good stories. everyone's easy to deal with and they drive you around to the trailers in their golf carts

it's an interesting spectacle -- for a day. after that, ugh. it gets old. but for a day it's really enjoyable

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All the PR people Cubman mentioned have been at it a LONG time and know what they're doing and know they're dealing with media that doesn't cover the sport on a daily basis. So they go out of their way to help and encourage questions. Good folks all.

Most NASCAR PR people, or many I should say, have a "gatekeeper" mentality. A lot of that is understandable, given the demand, but some seem to do it just for kicks. Densmore deals with a pretty high demand guy, yet neither he nor his client has become a prick. About 10 years ago, I was working on a fairly technical story that had nothing to do with them and Densmore went out of his way to help.

Joe Sherk should run a school for PR people.

The NHRA? The red carpet by comparison to any other sport.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Once had a photog download his pics from an NHRA event. He complained about the pain inflicted on his body by the ground shaking under him. Then he quit. Wuss.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bring earplugs, for sure. After that, I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to cover an NHRA event.

Draft saved Draft deleted