1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering an NHRA event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Going to Richmond in October, mostly for a feature on a pro stock team whose driver (and his family, i.e., the crew) all live in our coverage area.

Anything I should know beforehand from those that have done this sort of thing?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll talk to you later about this one, Huss.
    Drag racing is great. And if your guy is who I'm thinking your guy is, he's always been VERY easy to deal with in good times and bad.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And you ain't going to Richmond. Track is well south of Richmond.
    I love that about the NHRA. The stop in Atlanta is about an hour north. Houston is a good way away from the city.
    Bristol is, well, in Bristol.

4. oldfart

oldfart Member

Hustle

I've covered drag racing for a lot of years (along with all other motor sports). Are you looking for helpful hints in general or something more specific? PM me and I'll try to be of some help

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have fun Hustle. I love drag racing. First non-prep event I ever covered (many moons ago), and the access was great. John Force invited me into his truck for a story on one of his rivals; I can't imagine a top NASCAR driver doing that with a 23-year-old nobody.

I think drag racing is like hockey in that TV can't do it justice and that if fans would go in person, they'd be completely hooked. Great sport.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Very good people in this sport. NHRA staff is very helpful no matter who is on site, and even better, the major teams have their own PR people who are delighted to see mainstream press on hand. And the drivers are almost always quotable, with Force peerless in that regard. Gary Scelzi is a gem as well.
    But bring earplugs if you're caught in the pit area (open to the public) and someone fires up a nitro car to test the engine. Deafening.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

I know who you want to talk to, and he's one of the better interviews in the NHRA. His PR guy is very good, too, so PM me if you need contact numbers.

If you've been covering only NASCAR events, then the access you get with the NHRA will make your head spin. Where else will the top driver invite you into his hauler, crack open a beer and grill you a hamburger before the interview.

If you've seen Force's reality show, he's really like that in person.

But in order to be truely initiated, you need to inhale some nitro fumes while they're testing engines in the pits. Closest thing to it is tear gas. 8)

8. You'll have a great time, and yes, the access that the driver's and teams give is completely amazing. A good friend of my wife's family races on the NHRA circuit and I'm completely blown away each time we go to Southern Nationals with how first class everything is.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Oops, sorry, I thought this was an NRA thread. Shoot me.

10. I agree with what you are hearing here. Been a while since I've been around the NHRA, and it was always for business matters, but they were always very good to deal with. Much more open and easier to work with than other motorsports.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

One of the problems with covering drag racing is working on ...
    SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY !!!

12. joe

joe Active Member

Jeff Gluck says Hillary Will is hot.

Draft saved Draft deleted