1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering an NFL game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuerteJ, Nov 5, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

So, here's a quick question for you scribes out there covering an NFL team: Are live blogs allowed? Or is there some ridiculous rule like the NCAA has that you're not allowed to do anything live from the game?

2. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

4. Purely out of curiosity, I read that. What is the point? Who would read it? And, with all due respect to the author, if he's writing blog entries, then he's missing something on the field that might enhance his coverage for the actual newspaper. I know a lot of places do these, but they're just damn dumb.

5. jlee

jlee Active Member

I moved to a place where my team rarely gets broadcasted on CBS or Fox. I don't want to pay for the radio feed on NFL.com, so live blogs are the best way for me to get live observations beyond just stats.

I could see this being a plus for anyone stuck at a desk on Sundays, too.

Still, I wonder how much live blogging takes away from the ensuing gamer, and if the cost outweighs the benefits. After all, the number of people who fall in the above categories is nothing compared to your local readership.

6. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

The blogger, Mike Harrington, isn't the Bills beat writer -- Mark Gaughan and Allen Wilson handle the bulk of the coverage. Does that make a difference?

Just for yucks, I checked back a couple of weeks: Wilson and the lead columnist, Jerry Sullivan, split the game blog at the Meadowswamp, and Rodney McKissic did the honors at the two home games before that. With at least five guys in the box for home games, it adds to the paper's Web content while still leaving Gaughan free to do his job.

Obviously, I'm not reading it during the game (either in the stands, or busy with our own site for the road games I don't attend)... but I can't say it's a bad idea, at least the way they're working it.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Others have answered, but no they're not, in my experience.

If you have a single guy trying to do a blog and then write the gamer and whatever else, perhaps.

But as far as the blog itself goes, there's readership for these.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think live blogs are print journalists' big chance to look just as dopey as broadcast journalists. For years I've thought it was unfair for TV/radio columnists to mock the mis-speaking of TV and radio sports folk because the folks with the microphones lack the benefit of editing, time to compose their thoughts, the opportunity to do some reporting that will educate them about what they don't understand before they spout off, and the chance to erase what looks incredibly stupid at second glance. I've yet to read a live blog that wasn't horrendously awful -- and less entertaining and informative than that being provided on the telecast.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Having done them myself, you'd be shocked how many people read live blogs. I only did a halftime blog for my basketball beat, and people ate it up.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Since I usually only get a handful of Bears games per season, and since I work EVERY Sunday, I usually follow the Trib's in-game BLOG!

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i did in-game blogs this year and they were wildly popular

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I'm tabbed to do some of these for our high school football playoff coverage. I know they may sound dumb to us, but you guys are getting positive feedback from readers? I've wondered how popular this would be. Sounds like it is in some instances, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted