1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering a state wrestling tournament

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JexFraequin, Feb 16, 2014.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I'm watching Louisville struggle with Manhattan at 12:30 in the morning and there's still 8 to play. I'm loving it. Quit bitching about your job.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Were you at the Louisville-Manhattan game Daytonadan? Were you covering it?

3. daytonadan1983

Yes sir.

Post-game note detail. My "reward" for SIDing a 7-25 team this year.

Pitino's presser was at 1:30 a.m. I guess it's okay to keep the kids on the court past midnight if the game's televised and they're drinking out of approved cups...

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Ideally use either rarely.

5. daytonadan1983

If there were, I wouldn't mind.

Two days later, everyone couldn't wait to get out of that arena, even though you had Florida and Louisville going back-to-back. Everything has its grind.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Wouldn't that be a bite? Missing Covering a whole wrestling meet ... "

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Ric Flair, thank you for that. A terrific post; I haven't laughed like that in awhile. I've only had to cover a few meets, but I hate the sport. If I had to cover a state, that would probably drive me to find the nearest tree. I'd rather cover a little league soccer game than a wrestling meet.

Of course it's a to each their own thing. I love HS basketball, I could cover it year round. Just covered the state tournament last weekend. I now other writers were celebrating the end of the season.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You know, SFIND, you're right. It's so hilarious, I think he should find a way to get these two bullet points in his next story so the locals can see it.

But that's only my opinion.

9. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

Wrestling is an awful sport. But it wouldn't bother me so much if the general attitude of everyone involved -- from the kids wrestling to the coaches to the parents -- wasn't so mind-numbing.

In their eyes, basketball players who wear baggy clothes off the court and show emotion on the court are disrespectful and ruining the spirit of high school athletics. Wrestlers who throw tantrums after a loss or or curse out an official are intense, driven and focused on achieving a goal after endless hours of hard work. Sometimes emotions get the best of them because they work so much harder than everyone else.

Blah, blah, blah.....

Draft saved Draft deleted