1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering a sport you know nothing about

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cullen9, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I must be in some strange alternate universe. Can't get a thing out of the local wrestlng community unless we staff a dual match, which is about the only time they're at home. It's not like they don't know how to contact us, since I've been snail-mailing "how to get stuff in the paper" letters along with my card to every coach in our coverage area (about eight schools),but it's like they just don't care or want to be bothered.

Don't mean to theadjack (although any ideas are wonderful), mostly need to vent.

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

thing I learned early on about field hockey is that the girl who scores the goal picks the ball out of the cage and brings it to center field

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I remember one of the first assignments I had in my first job out of school was a rugby game and I didn't have a clue about the scoring or any of the terminology — mind you, my editor was no help laughing when I reported a team went through three hookers in one game — but I talked to the coaches and figured it out. Soon I became the person parents were asking to explain the game and the coaches really appreciated my analysis on and off the record.

Another tricky one for me was volleyball. When I was in high school, which was the last time I'd been to a volleyball game, they used side out scoring and I didn't know anything about a libero, among other rules. It was hard to understand some of the scoring and follow some of the rotations until it was explained. Asking always pays off.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I have no idea how to cover lingerie football.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I would think going into the locker room for quotes would be of the greatest importance.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You can't go to the AD/principal of the schools about it?

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think you might have to feel your way around on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted