1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering a MLS game --- tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Human cockfighting is not a sport. Period.

As far as soccer, personally, I don't like it, but back in the day, covered some HS soccer. It ain't easy. But I tried to think outside the box whenever I could. Glad those days are behind me.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well, there's a well-reasoned, sound and intelligent argument. ::)

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

MLS might be overcovered in Toronto. I don't think you say the same below the border. The coverage in most U.S. cities is generally commensurate with the crowds/ratings.

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Elliotte,

FWIW, working on the Six Nations I have a good understanding of the southern Ontario/GTA market as well…

I was referring to the sport in general, not specifically MLS. I would argue that the EPL/Serie A is as well followed in Toronto as are more traditional “Canadian” sports, particularly by young people.

My 27-year-old brother-in-law—who is white as snow—can talk your ear off about his beloved Manchester United and all of his friends are the same way. An anecdotal example, I appreciate, but when you couple those sort of examples with the 20,000 plus showing up to BMO every week to watch a truly awful MLS side…

Take a walk around the south end of BMO and you will be stunned at how young the crowd is. And talk to them and you will realize that it isn’t a flavour of the month thing either. They aren’t going anywhere (much to MLSE delight/confusion/dumb luck).

As for TFC’s TV numbers…they aren’t much worse (about 150k on CBC, 120k on Sportsnet. The Score’s numbers have been awful, you’re correct) than what the NCAA draws in Canada, but I don’t hear many people arguing for less March Madness coverage.

Ultimately if you were to have listened to many of the top guys in Toronto sports media—many of whom are your friends, I appreciate—six months ago you would have believed that the sport had no chance to succeed in Toronto. That clearly hasn’t happened.

In Toronto, sports editors ignore the sport at their own peril. Interest in it is only going to grow.

Now, I appreciate that Upper Armpit, Kansas is a long way from Toronto. I’m not suggesting that we shove the sport down the throats of those that clearly don’t care about it. Just know your market and cover what the readers want, not what you want.

That’s all. Pretty self-evident, don’t you think?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

DG,

I didn't bring up European soccer because I recognize its huge following. One of my big breaks was covering the 1994 World Cup for the Corriere Canadese (back when I was in print). I understand how popular the sport is in Canada.

Been to BMO for the Under-20 final, and it was hard not to notice the youth & diversity. And, I never heard any one of my media buddies say the team had no chance here.

However, I would argue that Toronto FC is nowhere near as popular even in its own city as European football. I think your brother-in-law is typical. Loves Man U much more than he cares about MLS (I saw it play the Thai national team in Bangkok, one of the amazing things I've witnessed). I have no problem with newspapers covering soccer. What I do think -- and the radio station is probably the worst offender -- is that they are devoting too much time and space to the soccer people aren't really passionate about.

Draft saved Draft deleted