1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering a MLS game --- tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

There is pregame access in MLS, up to an hour before kickoff (at least that was the rule as of last year; not sure how the Beckham frenzy might change things).

Bring binoculars or anything with a telescopic lens. The Giants Stadium press box is about 6 miles above the field.

Don't buy the press box food. Absurdly expensive for what probably will be macaroni and cheez (it sure as hell isn't "cheese").

Don't be offended if Red Bulls coach Bruce Arena acts like a dick toward you. It's just his nature.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you fall asleep, try not to drool on yourself... That would be embarrassing...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So how did things work out Hunty?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Over/under was 9. Good game to watch on the tube, except that it was played on FieldTurf. MLS needed a high-scoring match for the more than 65,000 there.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i bet everyone was a winner.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The score was fun to fun

8. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Hope you kept your money in your pocket...

[/soccer fan that gets a little sick of old, tired, clichéd jokes]

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Oh, I'll kill myself if Portugal doesn't win."

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but it is funny ... every damned time i hear (read) it.

11. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

To each their own. Before you write it just make sure you aren't turning off more readers than you are making chuckle.

I hate NASCAR, but I appreciate that the redneck nation jokes went out of style sometime around 1994. Soccer-haters...to each their own.

Anyway, to try and turn this into a somewhat serious journalism discussion, I sometimes think that we let our personal feelings about a particular sport impact our decision to cover them. In many markets in North America soccer has a big following yet soccer coverage is often nothing more than overused one-liners by the half-wit humor columnist.

Then there are the whole mixed-martial-arts-isn't-a-real-sport-and-I'll-be-damned-if-I-ever-cover-it-despite-its-massive-appeal-amongst-the-exact-demographic-we-as-an-industry-are-losing crowd.

One and the same...

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

DG,

I think MLS is over-covered in North America. Here in Toronto, it's ridiculous how much coverage FC gets when you consider its TV numbers. Great fans at the games, but no one watching on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted