1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering a MLS game --- tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 17, 2007.

1. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Not sure what to expect ... going to the Meadowlands tomorrow for the Beckham extravaganza and was wondering if people had any tips/advice --- or could at least clarify a few things for me:

Do you have the opportunity to speak with players before the game? Or is there just locker room access afterward?

Is there even locker room access --- or just a press conference?

How long do these things normally last? (Game starts at 7:30 p.m. ... deadline for first edition is 10:30 p.m.)

And, most importantly, how's the food?

Thanks in advance.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Games are about 90 mintues.
    [Glad I could help.]

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Turn around.

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Wear a DC United jersey. Ask where the ESC is sitting. Wander over to say hi. Report what happens.

5. Figure on the game to last two hours of real time. There is locker room access after the match (never heard of pregame access in MLS), and some teams (such as FC Dallas) have someone who can translate for the non-English speaking players. Coaches usually do a standup postgame news conference, but I haven't covered an MLS match at the Meadowlands, so I can't give you the lay of the land there. Hope this helps.

6. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

That definitely helps ... although now I have no idea what I'm going to do before the game (I have to pick up the credential three to four hours prior to the game's start).

Guess I'll be surfing SportsJournalists.com ... thanks for the advice. That makes planning ahead a whole lot easier.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Prior to the game, you could do worse than to watch some of both teams prior game video on MLSnet, they're all free and easily accessed.

Game should be done by 9:45 p.m., the start won't be dead on 7:30 because Fox Soccer Channel is showing it, and they have a little bit of intro that usually pushes the start back 7-8 minutes. You should have plenty of time before 10:30 for a full gamer with quotes if you're writing as it unfolds.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bring a book.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Drink lots of coffee and Coke to stay awake. It's soccer after all.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Unless this happens

Sorry, couldn't help myself, carry on with the original thread.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Simply awesome.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The over/under will be 1. Bet the under.

Draft saved Draft deleted