1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coverage of rally about Arizona immigration law

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 1, 2010.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My shop's coverage of a rally calling for a federal immigration law and repealing Arizona's SB 1070 included a paragraph about a community college student holding a sign calling Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer "the next Hitler'' and a quote from the student saying she thought what Brewer is doing in Arizona is similar to what Hitler did in Germany.

I thought there should be an effort to get a response from Brewer, but was over-ruled, with the rationale being that was just "over the top rhetoric" that "says more about the speaker than Brewer."

Was I wrong in the need to seek balance or was the slot man right in just calling it "over the top rhetoric?" To me, what Hitler did in Germany was kill Jews and there is nothing in the Arizona law about starting concentration and death camps.

It could also be said that comparisons with Hitler are often best to be avoided.

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Well, let's start with this: Do you work for a weekly in Montana or a news outlet that actually stands a chance of getting a reaction from Brewer?

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Company is a daily organization, not in Arizona, which has heard back from the White House on a same-day basis when a request has been made.

Just thought the better approach should have been asking for comment from the county's leading opponent of illegal immigration, a longtime elected official.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

If you're outside Arizona and you're not the NYT or of similar stature you're just going to get a PR person. Not worth the trouble on a Saturday IMO.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Technically, this is exactly the kind of thing Hitler did as he was rising to power.

I mean, you gotta start somewhere. You can't just shove undocumented workers into ovens.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe this law is a good thing then. When the temperature in AZ hits 110 the illegals will be in air conditioned cell instead of cutting grass.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope the reporter asked her to explain herself. If not, it's terrible reporting to write what she said and leave it at that.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Personally, I would have cut the quote. We'd be doing the country a favor if we stop giving the nuts on both sides more ink than they deserve. As long as we're breathlessly quoting their every outrageous statement, the wack jobs on both fringes will keep it up. It's really time to start ratcheting down the rhetoric.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's just a fucking idiotic thing to say. You're no better than the wingnut they quoted.

Draft saved Draft deleted