1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover UVA football, Charlottesville VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I drove through Waynesboro, Pa., the other day. Waynesboro, Va., has got that one beat. I'd probably just try to find an affordable rental or a roommate in Charlottesville, but if you want to live in Augusta County you can shop at decent grocery stores and get a decent meal at a restaurant and drive to Charlottesville for you entertainment and culture. Waynesboro does have a nicer movie theater than CVille, though that will change once a big shopping center they just broke ground on is finished.

2. Balthier

Balthier Member

If you consider drunk girl muffin-toppin' all over the place and douchebag DMB fanboys as culture, yes, by all means.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm well aware of the douchebag factor, but when I said "culture" was talking more about the architecture, concerts, museums, galleries, theater, opera, etc.

4. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Ah St. Maarten, the bar that had the reputation of never checking IDs.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gillen is awesome. On a layover in Memphis a few years back, I saw him at one of the bars. He had just finished calling a game for whatever conference tournament was in Memphis that day. Anyway, I just walked up to him and introduced myself as someone who covered a few of his games at U.Va. and someone he certainly doesn't remember. We ended up shooting the shit for a few minutes. Couldn't have been nicer.

And yeah, U.Va. students are the worst. :)

6. ConnSptsEditor

ConnSptsEditor New Member

I thought Jerry Ratcliffe was the sports editor there? I see a byline dated 2/16/12 on their website. Is the new guy above him?

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The new guy is the SE. Hootie is still on staff in more of a columnist role (not sure of his exact title).

8. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Here's some positive news: St. Maarten will reopen.

http://www.readthehook.com/102910/st-maarten-caf-set-re-open#.T01GMfbFoEs.facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted