1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover UVA football, Charlottesville VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sources are ABSOLUTELY the writer's. They don't talk to the Washington Post. They talk to the writer. The writer is the one there every day, doing the work, getting the sources.

Is that an honest question?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Pete Gillen is a wonderful guy. He's absolutely delightful.

Wonder if he'll skip town now that his favorite bar has closed.

http://www.readthehook.com/102742/after-26-year-st-maarten-caf-closes

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Pete is well liked around town and didn't do that bad at UVa. Dave Leitao? That's a different story.

But the point about people who could live anywhere choosing CVille stands. I buy dog food at the same store as Sissy Spacek, have seen Howie and Chris Long at Chipotle, John Grisham built a little league facility south of town, DMB members all still live around here, etc.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Howie Long.

5. Big Circus

I used to date a girl who once got in a fight with Schuyler Fisk (Sissy Spacek's daughter).

My favorite C'ville-area celebrity would definitely be The Rock, who bought a house in Orange County a few years ago.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When did Cosmo make that point? Quote fail. I want my damn credit.

The Post doesn't do the whole beat-writer-switcharoo nearly as often in these days. It does it with college beats, which used to be handled largely by interns. The Post had a two-year internship program that was as good as any starter job anyone can get. Recent former interns: Yanda, Nationals beat writer Adam Kilgore, Capitals beat writer Katie Carrera, The Star-Ledger Yankees beat writer Mark Carig, The Star-Ledger Giants beat writer Zach Berman, The New York Times sports writer Mark Viera.

So the Post got the best and brightest out of college and made them full-time interns for two years (paying them fairly well, as I understand it), and as a result, constantly shifted its college sports beat writers. Yanda is full-time now on the Virginia beat. Liz Clarke took Maryland basketball because Tarik El-Bashir took Georgetown basketball from her. I think Mark Giannotto, the Virginia Tech beat writer, is an intern, but he'd be near the end of his internship if he is.

And sources absolutely belong to the reporter, which is why some competing newspapers have, in the past, hired away well-sourced reporters from rivals to cover the same beat.

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

sad face...i spent much of my 21st birthday there...and many other nights...

8. Big Circus

Thanks to most of my friends being younger than me, I spent my 21st there as well. The cheese fries were fantastic.

9. Balthier

Balthier Member

Very much so. Though going over Afton during a storm of any kind (winter, summer, don't matter) can be "fun." Waynesboro isn't all that bad and has picked up considerably with a BW3 and whatnot moving in. Also, Augusta County could be a nice cheap option. Or Nelson.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If adding a BW3 constitutes an upgrade for a town, I'd hate to think what the place was like before.

11. Balthier

Balthier Member

Waynesboro used to be dead. Dead. Since then, they've added a few things (BAM, Target, coffee house downtown, a few restaurants) and stuff like that. Hey, it's a southern industrial town and the place where spandex was invented fercrissakes!!! There are area's of town not to live (Basic City, The Phillipines), but for the price and ease of commute, I'd live there in a heartbeat if I worked in C'ville because the good areas far outweight "depressed" areas.

12. Balthier

Balthier Member

And, really, how depressed can a city be when half of Albermarle's law enforcement lives there?
    (Sorry, I've moved around a lot in my years and there are no places closer to my heart than, in order, my hometown and Waynesboro, Va. I know, pretty sad. But still ...)

Draft saved Draft deleted