1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover UVA football, Charlottesville VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mix of DP and TD coverage for Lynchburg.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And Norfolk uses Roanoke's copy, IIRC.

Also, I've done the Richmond-Charlottesville commute before. It sucks. It's not feasible on anything more than a short-term basis, especially in times of uncertain gas prices. Maybe if you live in Short Pump or Goochland, but that's still a long, boring, shitty commute.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is Waynesboro an option?

4. Big Circus

Waynesboro would be workable, but that's still upwards of 30 minutes going over a mountain. And Waynesboro is depressing as hell.

C'ville's cost of living is overstated. There are PLENTY of affordable rentals in the area, both near UVa and elsewhere if you don't want to live around students. (I've never tried to buy there, so that may be where the cost of living kicks in.)

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Not that it's all that matters, but can somebody offer up an educated guess on salary here? $45,000? 50?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, no.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, not within a country mile of it. I'm guessing upper 20s? If that?

8. Big Circus

I don't know about that, MM. UVa football is the plum beat at the DP. I'd be willing to bet it starts with a 3.

9. Mystery Meat II

You'd hope, but I seem to recall the UVA basketball beat went for under 30, and possibly under 25. Can't find the thread here, but I know they got damn near 400 applications.

10. Big Circus

They might have gone in looking for that, but when they hired, they paid appreciably more.

11. Mystery Meat II

Good. Given MG's less than stellar salary history, you'd hate to think a big boy beat would result in kiddie table payout.

12. Big Circus

That said, I don't expect them to go over slot this time around. Times have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted