1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Nationals - Fredericksburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Todd, I met you during that first homestand this season, and had a nice chat with you in the Nats' clubhouse. I know someone else you worked with at the F-S (hint, initials AH)
    I enjoyed chatting with you and wish you well.
    I definitely can relate to why you left. Family is No. 1.

2. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

Sounds like an amazing gig. Figure they'll make a few moves before the trade deadline and put some money into the offseason so the stadium opening isn't a waste next year. Might find yourself riding a pretty neat story this time next year.

3. dcwriter1978

dcwriter1978 New Member

Welcome to the message board Stan Kasten!

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Or it could be head cheerleader Tom Boswell.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are incredible, simply incredible.

6. boots

boots New Member

Obviously living in the midwest you don't know how things work in Megalopolis. I know two people who make this run on a constant basis. In fact, one goes a little further south than Richmond. They aren't complaining.
    You, just to get attention, try to down play my posts. Give it a break Tom. The party is over. That's what the ignore button is for.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I don't know boots, I think your premise is a stretch at best.

I live 8 miles from DC. On the occasion I have to go to Richmond, it takes 1:30-2:00 to get there. That's a straight shot down 95 with limited traffic disruption; Rt. 1 would not be an alternate (with the possible exception of problems on 95) because of the amount of traffic lights, at least from the portion I know of, Stafford County and north.

So let's say there's your typical 7:05 game. That means being at the ballpark around 2 or so, possibly earlier; that means leaving by noon and being up and out of bed around 11 a.m. (give or take). The game runs until 10:30; you get quotes and write, you're out of there maybe an hour later if you're filing once. That's 11:30 until you leave, at best, with a 1 a.m. back at home time.

For an afternoon game, assuming the same circumstances, you'd probably want to be at the park by 10 (leaving by 8:30 at the latest), which would put you on the back end of the morning rush into DC. A 1 p.m. game ends at 4:30 or so; another hour to file and you're out by 5:30, pretty squarely in the evening rush. Your 35-minute trip to F-burg is effectively doubled in rush-hour traffic, if not more.

There was a story in the Post a few months ago about the longest commutes; those featured coming from the south were in Spotsylvania County, still considerably north of Richmond. Indeed, people from Richmond may commute to DC; however, the number, I'd guess, is incredibly small and these people would sacrifice an awful lot to do so.

Anyway, back on the subject at hand, congrats to Todd on his new gig. I'll be interested to see how it pans out for him; you can't go on JJobs without seeing a daily listing of writing jobs for trade pubs in DC. Few have really piqued my interest, though I've thought long and hard if that's the route I want to take with my life. Todd, I do plan on sending you an e-mail in the next few days to talk more about this, if you don't mind.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are so awesome. dude, you simply are the best poster, nay, sports journalist in america.

you are so full of knowledge and it is so reliable. thanks once again for just being you.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tom, you need to make a point without attacking a poster. If you want to say "You are full of shit and here's why," we'll live with that.
    But don't just follow another poster around and mock him.

10. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

Does anybody know when they're looking to fill this position?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you following me around and mocking me, moddy?

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tom, give it a rest. Mocking people is really stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.