1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Nationals - Fredericksburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do answer this please because I think it is fair: 30 miles north of Fredericksburg puts him smack in the D.C. sprawl - does the pay take that into consideration?

2. Sorry to threadjack, but is Adam H. still there? I've always liked his Redskins stuff. He's a pretty cool guy, too.

3. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

How many papers in the area actually cover the Nats? I assume the Post and Times are the only ones that travel with them...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Fredericksburg, Potomac, Richmond - several others do a lot or all of the home games. I'm sure some of the suburban Maryland papers do, too.
    Fredericksburg has a good "blog" as well as its regular coverage.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

1) To be honest, the cost of living in Northern Virginia is a downside. When I think what I paid for my house here, and how much house that would have bought me at my last three stops, it makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

2) I know the Post and the Times are there. Not sure who else. With the exception of the Post (which has resources far beyond ours), I'd put our Nats coverage up against any of them.

3) Yes, Adam Himmelsbach is still here and will be at 'Skins camp when it opens.

6. boots

boots New Member

Justin, obviously you don't make "many road trips" but when the playoffs begin, what are the chances of the Nats writer covering the playoffs and possibly the World Serious?

7. Justin_Rice

I'm not the one who signs the checks, but I'd say it's 99.987 percent certain.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Shotgun going to San Diego.

9. Justin_Rice

I think I misunderstood the question.

If the Nationals are at home during playoff time, then no, this reporter wouldn't be covering the playoffs.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think the person who has this beat better be good at writing losing gamers.
    But seriously, this seems like it would be a great chance to get in the door to cover a major professional beat.
    Does a person have to have MLB contacts already to have a shot at this position? (Since I don't :p)

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I know nothing about this position, but I do know your stories will be presented quite nicely. Justin is top-notch as a designer and editor. Besides the other obvious positives of this position, working with Justin is tremendous.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You better be able to play poker and knock out a few of those Lynchburg "test-tube babies" if you get this gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.