1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Nationals - Fredericksburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

More openings like this might keep a fella from even considering going to law school.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Oh, salary requirements... any good suggestions as to what to put here and/or is it ok to "neglect" this part and hope it doesn't take you off their list?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The POTUS is at the Nats' game tonight, right between Kasten and Bowden. See the quality stuff you'd get to cover?

Put down your requirement. If you won't do it for less than, say, 50, they need to know. Don't waste your time and theirs if the money won't work.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

And on that note, if you won't do it for less than 50 .... well ... as much as we'd like to have you ....

:)

5. Moderator1

Hey, I just kind of tossed that out there as a nice round figure!
    I meant to say 35. Uh, 25? Uh, 15?

Seriously, they need to know. Sometimes the money isn't going to work. Best to learn that at the beginning.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

To whom do you address the cover letter when you're just sending it to human resources, the HR director? Dumb question, I know, but it's always something different with every opening.

7. boots

boots New Member

Justin could answer the salary question better than anyone on here but 30K would be my guess.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, except driving to and from Richmond to the games every day makes it a 5-hour round trip, building in a little traffic but not as much as there could be.

BAD idea. Desker? Live in Richmond. Washington writer? Live north of Fburg.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

81 games, tops. Probably a few less because you won't be covering every single home date. I mean, I like F'burg as much as anyone, but you're talking exburb distances for suburb prices.

And north of F'Burg? Might as well live in D.C. proper.

10. Moderator1

I think - think - one of the Fredericksburg writers does live in Richmond. Of course, he's not trucking it to D.C. all the time. I also think the previous owner of this beat had some deal with a bud and stayed in D.C. during homestands. Someone on this thread could better answer both those questions.
    But I would not recommend living in Richmond if you get this job.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Living in Richmond is probably out .... unless you can fly. And if that's the case, you should probably find something more important to do with your skillset.

Yes, we have a writer who lives in Richmond - and it's quite handy when we're covering stuff to the south of Fredericksburg.

Todd and his family lived 20 or 30 miles north of Fredericksburg to cut down on his drive time to D.C. - and that will probably be our suggestion to the person that fills this spot.

As for salary, I don't feel comfortable talking specifics, but I'll say this: We're a family-owned company that's a real pleasure to work for ... they've diversified our interests (radio stations, a phone book, etc.) and are spending money on the product (new press and printing facility coming online in two years or so).

Based on my experiences with similar-sized papers, I think our pay is pretty competitive.

12. boots

boots New Member

If someone was inclined, commuting between Richmond and D.C. would not be THAT difficult. People do it every day. Not only that, the time that you would spend on either Route 1 or I-95 wouldn't be THAT long considering when you would have be at the RFK or the new ball park, you would miss rush hour traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.