1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover the Minnesota Vikings while the ink is still drying on your diploma

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 4, 2013.

1. alexjmoretto

alexjmoretto New Member

Chip Scoggins and Mark Craig I believe. They do a good job covering the Vikes.

2. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I'm sorry, but you are a moron. I am the target employee for this job (5 years out of school, series of middling jobs) and I would be THRILLED to move halfway across the country on my own dime for this job at $35,000. Get off your high horse and check in with reality every once in a while.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He already explained that he misread the original post, dickhead.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jesus, this made me laugh.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

;)

6. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Pretty serious misread. Even the freaking thread title implies what it is. I have little sympathy, he's a dummy.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Read entire post. It's like the guy who said the salary was insulting never read past "Vikings" in the thread title, nor past the salary in the original post.

8. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

I put my name in the hat for this one. I'm curious as to what type of experience they're really looking for for this job. Would they hire recent grads, or would they want someone who's got five years of experience? Both situations could be considered "in the beginning stages of their career."

9. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Guys, there was talk that one of the main Vikings positions was opening up, and when I saw the title "Cover the Minnesota Vikings while the ink is still drying on your diploma" I thought that was someone editorializing because they were low-balling the job.

Considering the way the business is going ... well, you know.

So I goofed and said so. If you still want to lob insults feel free, but hopefully the thread can get back on track.

10. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Just thought of this -- the listing said they want someone with a "diverse background." I'm guessing that means white, middle class journalists need not apply?

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I take that to mean they are looking for people whose background is in something more diverse than strictly writing. In other words, multi-media.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Should this make me more likely to hire you or less likely to hire you?
    Most SEs can get all the fan-boys they want. Some might even pay them to land a spot.
    If I'm responsible for a section/site, I don't want diehard fans doing my sports journalism.
    I'd suggest you get over that facet of this business fast. Or go cover a team to which you are entirely indifferent.

Draft saved Draft deleted