1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover sports on the Oregon coast -- Tillamook, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jimmydangles, May 7, 2008.

1. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Company: Country Media
    Position: Cover Sports on the Oregon Coast
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 4, 2008
    Job ID: 917130

Description:
    Here's your chance to be the sports editor/reporter for our county-wide, 8,500-weekly Headlight-Herald on the Oregon coast. Your title is editor, but your job is reporter/paginator. Cover three high schools, plus outdoors rec as time allows. Work hard, learn a lot, be a key resource for our readers. Benefits inlcude health insurance, vacation and sick leave, expense reimbursement, pay for any overtime hours. Please send your resume and a cover letter to steve@countrymedia.net.

Job link: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=917130

Anyone know anything about this one?

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

A new job title: reporter/paginator.
    It is a nice part of the coast, but remember it's always sweater weather despite being near water (and this is the Tillamook of the cheese fame).

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I've been to Tillamook and it's a beautiful place. The cheese factory had this root beer ice cream that was possibly the best ice cream on the planet. When i called the local movie theater i asked about movie times. The lady said, "Birdcage 7 o'clock." I waited for more times and other movies, but that was it - one movie with one showing. This was 10 years ago so maybe things have changed but it was a pretty dead town as I recall

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pay level: Less than an editor
    Amount of crap to put up with from the publisher: More than you deserve

5. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

You'll quickly realize that Tillamook makes more than just awesome Cheddar cheese, there's all different types of cheese, not to mention all other dairy products and some pretty dank ice cream.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The only one of Hugh Hefner's girlfriends who's actually tolerable is from Tillamook.

Town gets 90 inches of rain a year and it almost gets to 70 degrees in the summer.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. Best cheese around, and damn fine yogurt, too.

Tillamook High -- whose mascot, shockingly, is the Cheesemakers -- is a solid 4A program.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I don't know which part of this interests me more. The fact that you know Hef's girlfriends or that you know them well enough to know their personalities.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

The flip side: that stench of manure that lingers over the town. You would have to get used to that.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the availability of cheese, ice cream and sour cream is worth the smell.

11. joe

joe Active Member

There's a sweet hike outside of town that takes you down to the ocean. And when you get there, there might be eight other people. You could walk a mile down the beach, camp out for a week and nobody would bother you. Beautiful place.

12. Tillamook (and the Oregon coast in general) is a beautiful place, for sure, but a single guy could go stir crazy there pretty quickly. If you're looking to settle down and live life at a relatively slow place, it's not too bad. As with most locations in Oregon, if you're into outdoor activities you'll be in heaven. And my understanding is that the cost of living isn't too high relative to some other Oregon towns (Portland, Bend, etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted