1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover songs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is no bass guitar and they are not stoned out of their minds. Cream perfected the song, IMHO.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think there are sacred songs. If you think you can d it better or want to put a different spin on it, have at it. We'll be the judge. Have heard a lot of interesting takes on songs over the years. And some really shitty ones, of course.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess you could take the best song from the greatest of the great artists and say they cannot be covered.

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Bruno Mars might have the chops to do it, but the list is very, very short.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a more recent one, but "Royals" by Lorde would be tough. Big hit, signature song for an artist, and a distinctive sound and rhythm that would be difficult to put an effective new spin on.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't covering a song is always about thinking you can improve it, necessarily. I mentioned The Lemonheads playing Will You Love Me Tomorrow. Did they top Carol King or any of the others musically with their version? I don't know, but it's amazing to get their interpretation.

The exact same words mean something quite different coming out of the mouth of a white man, a rock star, than the Shirrelles.

There’s a certain connotation to a group of young black woman asking "Will you still live me tomorrow?" in 1960. Imagine the mistrust that must have gone along with trying to make it in the recording industry at that time.

When Evan Dando sings it there is a different pain in his voice. He's not wondering if he's being used. He’s not sure if he's capable of having a love that lasts.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

After hearing Stevie Ray Vaughan cover "Little Wing," I'm convinced no song is completely "uncoverable."

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bruce's bass in the Cream version is unreal, as is Baker's drumming. All Joe is doing here is covering Cream's cover, nothing new here.

Clapton's cover of "Little Wing" cuts Hendrix's - no mean feat there - but I doubt I will ever hear anyone cover "All Along The Watchtower" better than Jimi.

I cannot imagine anybody doing a cover of "Layla" that is better than the original. Even Clapton's slow, acoustic version is shit.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rage Against the Machine improved Ghost of Tom Joad.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone should cover -- or ever perform -- Christmas Shoes by Newsong.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dave Edmunds did a great cover of From Small Things....

EStreetJoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted