1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover songs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Are there any songs or artists that you feel are too sacred or iconic for a much lesser-known band to cover?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Cover Me," Bruce Springsteen.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Freebird

93Devil likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Are You Jimmy Ray?

Mambo No. 5

Summer Girls

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not at all, but it can be pretty tough.
    The performer has to consider how well he/she can do a song justice and bring something new to it when choosing a cover.
    Any song can be covered successfully, but never every performer is right for every song.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow," Carole King. And everyone from Linda Ronstadt to Bruce to Lauryn Hill to Bette Midler have tried. In fact, Wikipedia indicates at least 86 artists have either recorded it or performed it in concert. But the composer's interpretation of it is unmatched.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gov't Mule can cover any band. It really is amazing how varied their covers are.

If a good band covers a good song, it usually turns out pretty well. On a related note, Bruce Springsteen songs should never be covered.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Meh. Turn Weird Al loose on everyone.

10. Jake_Taylor

I love the Lemonheads take of that song. Something about Evan Dando's voice makes it haunt.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anything can be changed to a new beat or instruments added. Shit, I would think Stevie Wonder would be pretty untouchable, but the Peppers did Higher Ground, and it sounded great.

I would say songs that could not be improved and are perfect as is, or another artist might try, but they are not making it any better...

Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
    Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love for You (no one will ever sing a song better)
    Freebird - already mentioned
    Piano Man - Billy Joel (I've heard it 10,000 times and I don't need it getting more airplay)
    New York State of Mind - Joel actually has a few that could go on this list
    Crossroads (live) - Cream
    Almost every Pink Floyd song
    Almost every Rush song because they are hard as shit to play and half of America would hate it.

12. Jake_Taylor

Of course, Crossroads is more or less a cover of a Robert Johnson song.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted