1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover Letters For PR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OkayPlayer, Jul 17, 2006.

1. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

The uncertainy of this profession has moved me to attempt a switch to the other side. All my professional experience is in journalism, so how do I mention in a cover letter why I'm making the switch?

Is it wise to make excuses why I have no PR experience? Or should I just write what about the job intrigues me? Or highlight what about journalism prepared me for a job in PR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Don't focus on negatives (i.e. a lack of experience in PR). Instead focus on, like you said, why journalism would help. Why you are making the change, etc.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even then, I'd come up with a brief, light explanation about why you want to switch, then let it go. 99% of the time, they are more interested in what you can do for them.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A good PR person never focuses on the negatives. Neither should you in a cover letter.

Look for PR jobs that are heavy on writing and media relations. Those are the jobs that are best suited for your experience.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What Hack Man said.

As someone who made the switch three years ago and isn't looking back, you want to stress, stress and stress some more your writing ability. Most PR hiring folks want someone who can write better than the average bear. Then, take that and stress, stress and stress some more the fact you worked in the field, know what journalists like and know what is news.

Then, stress your organization and attention to detail.

With that, you have pushed all the appropriate buttons.

Draft saved Draft deleted