1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover It Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Awesome.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are we talking about a metro here? I'm just curious. So many places are actually cutting resources, rather than expanding what they do.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I understand that notion. I really do.
    But let me ask you this — how many of that 200,000 is reading the entire paper? Front to back, in every section? 5,000 tops, right?
    So if I am the guy who just opened up a furniture store and buys a 4x6 ad in the Home section every week, how many people can I realistically expect to draw in?
    I am at a 25K, so pulling in a 1,000 is about 1 in 25. If the advertising department can pull in a sporting goods store or something to buy an ad that runs above the chat window, they're reaching a pretty good size chunk of the audience. Probably better than the furniture store, too.
    Like I said, it's not one thing. It's a bunch of them. The same way a newspaper is. All 25,000 or 200,000 is not picking it up for any one thing. Some want the local news. Some want opinion. Some want comics and sports. Or Ann Landers. Or just the coupons. We have found a way to make the print version be something a lot of people want for a long time now, and we should continue to do that. But the same philosophy should apply to the web.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yup, this is the catch. It's a great service, but right now they're like the drug dealer on the corner: giving us the first taste for free to get us hooked, then charging once we know the shit is good.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So if it works for Cover It Live, why can't it work for newspaper websites?

Oh, the shit actually has to be "good" in order to get people hooked. I get it. ;)

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

We've used it a few times, most recently for Penn Relays live chats. Trying to really cover Penn Relays "live" would've probably been impossible for one person. From what I've heard, the first chat drew a dozen "unique visitors," but by the last one there were triple that. Not great, but better than nothing -- particularly since the chats were not very well-promoted, and all were during the normal work day.

I know several papers in our chain used Cover It Live for the state wrestling finals. That's actually where I first saw it, embedded in a high school blog, and thought it looked really cool. That was more running play-by-play style. I think a separate reporter was sent down specifically to do Cover It Live, since it's really tough to moderate comments and actually cover the event.

Draft saved Draft deleted