1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover high school sports in Wilmington, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 14, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from journalismjobs.com:

The StarNews in Wilmington NC is seeking a high school sports reporter interested in the hows and whys of high school athletics as much as the Xs and Os. Yes, you’ll be out at the football field on a Friday night during the fall and covering the big events, live tweeting all the way. Don’t expect, however, to cover four games, write a couple of notebooks, post a couple of blog items and call it a week. Writers on this beat have won APSE awards in projects, features and investigative in the past four years.

What you'll do: • Coordinate coverage of two dozen high schools in 21 varsity sports with sports editor, photo department, online team and group of local freelance writers • With Sports Editor, oversee StarNewsVarsity.com, our high school sports website • Maintain Varsity Now blog, @StarNewsVarsity twitter account and StarNewsVarsity Facebook page • Continue our great relationships with the NCHSAA, NCPreps.com and other newspapers in Eastern North Carolina • Showcase your ability as a journalist through writing and web-specific content.

The Wilmington StarNews is a 38,000-daily circulation newspaper located 10 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and great beaches. This position is reporting only; no editing or design shifts are required, but a good eye for presentation is always helpful. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, references and clips (four maximum, please) to Sports Editor Dan Spears at dan.spears@starnewsonline.com or c/o the StarNews, 1003 S. 17th St., Wilmington NC 28401

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In another life, I would have jumped all over this. And despite all the changes in the industry, I can't remember hearing anything negative about this place. Beautiful area, good paper, good bosses (so I hear).

And reporting only? No editing or design shifts? They won't have much trouble filling this spot.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I echo this sentiment. I've heard nothing but positives about this paper and the people who work there.

4. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Yep, good paper for its size. Good place to live. Dan is a great guy and, from what I hear, a great person to work for.

This is a really good job for somebody.

5. tlatimer

tlatimer New Member

I'm the outgoing person for this and cannot vouch strongly enough for the area and the job.

Dan is a fantastic editor, and has been especially great at helping grow the writers on staff. Just great people in general. The job is tough with 21 schools in 6 counties, but you'll have a lot of leeway to direct the coverage, and a lot of chances to do good enterprise and investigative stories. The paper places a premium on doing investigative work and, just as importantly, isn't afraid to give you the time to do it. There is a lot of opportunity to do good work.

As for Wilmington, great town with some sneakily affordable housing if you know where to look, great food, and good nightlife if that's what you're into. Plus the beach. Staff is a good mix of veterans and young folks.

Good luck to all who apply.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Wilmington is great and with a very good, underrated beach.

7. Only negative is the lack of a space between Star and News.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

A couple of drunk frat boys from UNC-W stole their hyphen.

9. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Wilmington is an excellent town. It's beautiful, the beaches are fantastic, downtown is nice and has charm, people love sports there, it's only two hours from Raleigh, and you'd be amazed by the number of great athletes that have come from there. Also, the Star News has sent a lot of people onto very good gigs over the years. Dan Spears has a tremendous reputation. You can't go wrong with this gig.

10. I'm not familiar with the Star News. Is that a competitor of the StarNews?

11. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Why do people have to be such smart asses on this site? Negative ninnies gonna needle someone over a typo. It was actually the Star-News for a long time, so would that have passed your test?

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with this one. Great gig, great area. Two outstanding beaches nearby.

Draft saved Draft deleted