1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover college sports for the Mile High region | Denver, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Feb 21, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Cover college sports for the Mile High region

The Denver Post is looking for an accomplished reporter who can break news and tell powerful stories on collegiate athletics in Colorado. This person must be a self-starter, comfortable working on all platforms and be able to juggle numerous short and long-term assignments. As always, time is of the essence. Interested applicants can email a cover letter, resume and selected clips to AME-Sports Scott Monserud, smonserud(at)denverpost.com.

Here's what we expect of qualified applicants:

• Develop news sources and look for and create news story ideas in coordination with assignment editors.

• Research, observe surroundings and conduct interviews over the telephone and in person to gather pertinent information for stories.

• Interact with colleagues and the public in a professional manner.

• Organize information and write an accurate, clear, interesting and grammatically correct story while meeting deadlines. Produce stories of varying complexity and form.

• Seek out and report news for immediate publication on The Post’s digital platforms or for print publications.

• Discuss story formulation with editors and edit or rewrite stories, as necessary.

• Develop sources and check with them on a regular basis to break exclusive news.

• Use digital tools and social media to report and promote Denver Post material.

• Understand and implement SEO techniques to ensure content reaches largest online audience. Stay abreast of latest trends.

• Create and curate content for a dynamic web presence.

• Request appropriate photos, video and graphics for stories; work closely with visual journalists to provide clear explanations of assignments. Shoot photos and videos when necessary and transmit them promptly for digital publication.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For those wondering, Nick Kosmider is leaving this role to take over the Nuggets beat, vacated by Chris Dempsey.

3. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Did this one ever end up being filled? I never saw an announcement for a new hire. If so, I must have missed it.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

For those interested: I saw Kyle Fredrickson, who had been covering Oklahoma State for The Oklahoman, got this job.

Don't know him personally, but he has a really good reputation among folks I know. I'm sure he'll do well in Denver.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I wonder if that means the Oklahoma State job is open at the Oklahoman or if they just shifted personnel around there

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Appears to be the latter, good sir.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    MiamiBoy likes this.
  7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Also, if anyone knows how to get rid of the weird formatting above, shoot me a message. That's the first time I've ever embedded anything here before, and as you can see, it turned out about as well as the Hindenburg's landing at Lakehurst.

8. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I appreciate that update. As far as posting tweets, all you have to do is copy the link to the specific tweet and paste it in your post. No need to embed it anymore. Go to the arrow pointing down in the top right corner of the tweet, click it and you should see "Copy link to Tweet" right there.

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Well that did the trick. Thank you kindly.

MiamiBoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted