1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover an athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Let's say you had the chance to go back in time(before you were born) to cover an athlete, somewhat like Al Stump did with Tyrus Cobb, who would that athlete be and why?

I thought this could be a fun little thread.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm going to say Maria Sharapova and butterscotch syrup.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this will be a popular answer, but probably Muhammad Ali. Simply the most fascinating sports figure of the 20th Century.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup. This should be a short thread.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Ali in his prime.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed. A heavyweight champ who actually defended his title all over the world, not just in some parking lot in Vegas.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ali is probably more interesting than every active athlete today combined.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

How about Babe Ruth though, or even Jack Dempsey? I think those two guys would be fun to cover.

We all know that Ruth lived a wild life, with the drinking, the partying and all the girls. He's a writers dream.

You can even make an argument that he was more popular then Ali.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True on Ruth, but "covering" him in that era wouldn't be what it is today. You could live it up with the Babe, but none of the stories would make the paper.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In the US maybe, not around the world. Ali hasn't fought in nearly 30 years but he would still be among the most recognizable people in the world.

Just covering Ali in the ring would have been amazing given the guys he fought and the places he fought in, but you had the whole Vietnam draft issue, his conversion to Muslim etc. Oh yeah, and he never stopped talking.

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Can you explain to me why they wouldn't make the paper?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, this has been the best answer so far...

Draft saved Draft deleted