1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cousy out as Celtics announcer after 34 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Whoever said the firing should be done via telephone should be fired immediately, preferably via a press release with the reporter calling him/her up to notify them.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Apparently, Comcast is taking a page from the newspaper drones.

They're a majority owner of Golf Channel. Two weeks ago, they had one of their suits come into the news assignment room of "Golf Central" called all four assignment managers/producers in and told them that he had never seen a newsroom work like this and all four of them were out -- effective immediately.

No warning, no reason, nothing.

Not to compare that with the sacking of a legend like Cousy, but you get an inkling of the lack of class Comcast is employing these days.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

How in the hell did Heinsohn survive? As I get set to renew NBA Ticket, I'm already stocking up on various soft things I can fire at the TV while listening to Tommy bellow about, well, everything Tommy bellows about, up to and including the fact Ken Mauer should be fired, if not outright maimed. And I can't even escape Heinsohn when going back to watch my tapes from the 1980s, when CBS somehow thought it was wise to make him the national color guy. It'd be like Hawk Harrelson becoming Fox's main color commentator and having the White Sox in the World Series every year. What nightmares that man has given me. I scour those tapes for glimpses of bias with the same intensity a Republican pores over the New York Times each day.

As for Cousy, yeah, it's a crappy way to go. Even as a third-generation Celtic hater, I enjoy watching films of him. Still, one of my favorite lines in an old pete Maravich documentary was "He did things with the ball that Bob Cousy in his dreams at night could not do." Plus, it always bothered me the way people (ok, Simmons) made a big deal out of the fact he made 10 free throws in a row or whatever in the movie Blue Chips. And he was in his 60s!!!!!!!! Christ, Michael Williams will be able to make 70 in a row in his 70s, they're free throws.

As you see, I have Celtic issues. It's sad he was ousted.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Tommy is slowly on his way out as well. He didn't make any of the long trips last year.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Inexcusable way to let a legend go.

I still hope every basketball game for the rest of my life is broadcast by Tommy and Mike.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Comcast is a very dangerous company.
    As much as I loathe Charter, I will go to the dish and DSL the morning I wake up and read Charter has swapped operations in my area with Comcast..

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Unfortunately, this might be Tommy's last season, I think.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

That's terrible. Cousy to the Celtics - broadcasting, in this case - is like Fred Cusick with the Bruins. One goes with the other.

Comcast sucks.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Doesn't justify what they did, but it is Comcast after all ...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it had a heart, you can be sure it isn't Comcast

11. KP

KP Active Member

More reason to think that way.

From a Comcast Sportsnet press release.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a baseball version, it's like the Mets with Ralph Kiner. He's been with the team since its inception in 1962. Now, all he does is an inning or two in maybe 10 home games a year, and all he really talks about is his past playing and broadcasting career. And that's OK. And the Mets keep him on, because they know he's an institution to the people of New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted