1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Courtney Paris: A title, or I'll pay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 10, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's an awfully optimistic outlook for a running-off-at-the-mouth moment at a senior day speech.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That surprised me as well. Tuition, room and board is now at 44k+ per year at my school, but then I thought about Oklahoma being a state school and the fact that they are probably just factoring in tuition, not room and board, and I could see that number being about right.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe not a household name, but he was a pretty consistent All-Pro lineman for quite a few years. Probably the best-known lineman in front of Montana in his prime.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is more and more dumb, the more I think about it. She's a scholarship athlete -- her obligation is to get an education and play as hard as she can. That's it. Putting a win/loss factor into an entire four years of education is shallow at best, dangerous at worst -- you watch another kid make that same guarantee soon, and watch delusional fans/alumni add "you should pay the school back!" to their arsenal of taunts against an underperforming 20-year-old kid.

I'm sure it was just a Senior Night play to the crowd, like ijag said, but it's still a bad idea. If a coach or staffer knew she was going to say that, they should have talked her out of it. If not, Oklahoma should have issued a statement afterward saying "that was a generous offer from Ms. Paris, but it's been our pleasure to have her. No payback necessary. Go Sooners."

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And I don't recall a lot of support for Anthony Smith when he guaranteed the Steelers would beat the Patriots a couple of years ago

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1541440/

6. Question ... Did she guarantee the Sooners will win the title, or did she say she would pay the money back if they didn't?

Those are two different things.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know if I'm quite ready to assign all those negatives to her gesture.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If Paris is serious about this, I would hope she pays in-state tuition to curb the cost.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, she just guaranteed that I'll try to watch some of her games in the NCAA women's tournament which I likely would not have watched otherwise. Good for her.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, there's a glass-half-full kind of guy. ;)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, you and the cats get back to me when you've reached a decision!

But seriously...who's going to argue against big-time athletes being paid mercenaries if schools will even entertain taking scholarship money back?

(jeez, this is more time than I've ever spent in a women's hoops thread.)

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I heard that she's paying it all back, tuition, room, board and books. I went to a Big 12 school as well and I would estimate it was between 25K and 30K for me to pay in-state tuition, room, board and books for four years. It was twice that much for out-of-state students.

Draft saved Draft deleted