1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Court upholds racist team logo on technicality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 15, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, what doesn't matter, according to the bleeding hearts, is the utter lack of people who are offended. A handful of people are offended and must be appeased, dammit, no matter what the unwashed masses say.

Fuck political correctness. Go Redskins!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Double J, I got the pic of the kid pushing buttons and I ain't afraid to use it!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You say that now, but when it happens to the Edmonton Eskimos, it's not funny any more...

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Double J. Your friend restricted his own opinion. People try to shout one another down all the time here. Sometimes a very large group of posters will gang up one one. I know. I've been that one a time or two.

That's when you have to remember that it's just a bunch of people hacking away at a keyboard and the only thing really at stake is your own reputation on the board. The group can try to shout you down all you want, but as long as you obey the rules of the board, nobody can stop you from posting your opinion but yourself.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I consider myself pretty sensitive to others, but the Washington Redskins name has been around since the 1930s. It's an iconic American sports nickname. I just think it'd be silly to, after all this time, suddenly change it. Most people would still call them the Redskins anyway.

I think a smarter, more sensible route is for Snyder and co. to reach out to Native Americans, maybe set up a foundation and embrace that segment of their fanbase.

6. outofplace

I doubt any Native American who is offended by the name is part of the fanbase, or interested in joining it.

And no, people would not keep calling them the Redskins if the name changed. That's just silly.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's not funny now, either. I'm dead serious.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Yes they would.

To many fans, especially those who think the name change is unnecessary, they will continue to be the Redskins. They've been around for over 70 years and are a part of that community. The idea of changing the name is a PR-nightmare, besides the chunk of Native Americans who are offended by it.

9. outofplace

First of all, this will never happen because it is far to easy to shit all over the Native American community. It's been happening since long before there was a United States and it ain't going to change any time soon.

That said, if a team changed its name, the fans would call the team by the new name. It might take a little time, but it would happen.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Here's one thing that should be clear to everyone, including those who think that all the hand-wringing over nicknames is idiotic. As outofplace pointed out, it's real easy to shit on Native Americans. They just don't have the numbers or the power to defend themselves in the same way that other oft-maligned communities do. And it's more socially acceptable to talk shit about them than it is many other groups...just look at zag's little drunk indian joke, which elicited little more than a murmur. If he had made an equivalent joke about another ethnicity- I'll spare the examples- this thread probably would have flamed out and been locked by now.

I think it's possible to defend the nicknames in a fashion that's respectful to the people who object. I think they deserve respect even if one chooses to reject their arguments.

11. outofplace

Well said.

And regarding Zag's comments, they were disgraceful. Sometimes he goes out of his way to make a thread as nasty as possible. If he wants to show us that he is a bigot, that's his business.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Is "drunk indian" some kind of slur? I've never heard that.

I mean, are you saying it's equivalent to southerners fucking their cousins or Wisconsonites fucking deer? Because yeah, you're right, those jokes NEVER get made.

Draft saved Draft deleted