1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Court upholds racist team logo on technicality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 15, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not saying it's not racist. Of course, it's racist!!

I'm just saying the court has no business outlawing racist nicknames. If the owner wanted to change it, I'm sure he would. My personal vote if for the "fighting whites". So is the name "fighting Irish" racist, too?

Heck, the Washington Wizards NBA team used to be known as the Washington Bullets. Some anti-gun people made a ruccus and the owner --- not the government --- changed the team name.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Last time I checked, when asked about your race on a survey over here, the list didn't go:

Caucasian
    Asian
    African-American
    Native American
    Hispanic
    Irish

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Would the Cleveland Browns be more offensive if they were the Cleveland Blacks? Or the Cleveland Whites?

I once worked in a minor league baseball league that included a team called the San Antonio Tejanos. Can't remember anyone making a fuss.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh Christ, the Browns were named after Paul Brown. As I recall, the main force behind the Redskins was not named George Preston Redskin.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Uh, you do know why the Browns are called the Browns, right?

Thank you Dools.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

WTF? Did you really just say that?

Christ, when I think you can't get any stupider, you say something like this and ... totally redeem yourself.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe some are. I don't intend to offend people with my opinions, but I'm also entitled to those opinions and to be able to express them.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://www.yasharbooks.com/offensive2.gif
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And nobody, anywhere, has said you're not.

But your right to express your opinon does not preclude anyone from taking exception to your opinion. Because they're entitled to their opinion, too.

And the whining I hear most often from anti-PCers is that they're not being allowed to express their opinions. Which is blatantly false.

Objecting to your opinion is not the same as restricting your opinion. There is a difference.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very true. But the vociferousness of an objection can, in someone's perception, result in the same outcome as an outright restriction.

I have a good friend who more or less stays away from this place because of a bad experience on the politics board. Few, if anyone, was interested in what my friend had to say about something even though my friend had first-hand knowledge of what they were talking about. No one cared, they just shouted my friend down. Their objections to my friend's opinion, for all intents and purposes, restricted that opinion.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, but perceptions are like assholes opinions ... everybody's got one. ;)

A lot of people don't go to the politics board, but unless they're, umm, taking a vacation, nobody's restricted from going there.

Sorry, I don't buy the "for all intents and purposes" reasoning. You're absolutely free to express your opinion, regardless of how many people disagree with it. Nobody is taking that away. Not here, not anywhere.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm 1/8 Cherokee (though you wouldn't know it to look at me). No one on my dad's side of the family has ever been offended by any of this, that I know of. Every time this comes up I try to find a way in which it is, and I just never can. Maybe because I never heard the term "Redskins" outside of the football team. Maybe because it just doesn't matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted