1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Court upholds racist team logo on technicality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 15, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You really should go to Farmington or Gallup and give that a try some time.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose I'd bring the booze and they'd all be so happy they'd sing whatever I asked them to!!! And if your burly badasses were that burly or that badass, they wouldn't get their feelings hurt by the name of a football team.

Sounds to me like they are burly sensitive types......

I mean, seriously dude, what is your point?

That a few "burly badasses" in Farmington don't like the name of a football team so we should stop the world and make sure their feelings aren't hurt?

People need to learn to get over it.

And the term Redskins hasn't been used as a racial slur by anybody with any amount of sophistication -- i.e. they have running water in their houses -- in a few decades and a lot of that has to do with the fact that this team's name has made the word a whole lot less of a slur than it used to be back when Geronimo walked the earth.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Wow.

4. writing irish

It was a hypothetical, so don't worry about it. Nice damage control attempt with the quote function, though.

5. zagoshe

Damage control? What are you talking about?

I hate those strings where the blue panels are like 25 inches long because people quote the entire conversation -- as opposed to, you know, the last post, the post they are responding too.

It makes it a lot easier to follow the conversation.

6. writing irish

I was referring to your original post.

7. zagoshe

I still don't understand what damage control has to do with it -- I simply modified my post because I had something I wanted to add and didn't want to have back-to-back posts -- that is something that draws the ire of certain posters you know -- so I simply added to the last post I made.

Seriously, you need to get over yourself -- and this silliness about tough guy navajo's beating up people who cheer for the Redskins for that matter.

And now I just re-read this whole thing and realize how stupid political correctness can be.

You said I need to go to a TAVERN (a place where, I'd assume they are there because they want to have a few drinks) and talk to these burly Navajos who will no doubt kick my ass because, well, they just will because they are tougher than me.

And somehow, for some unGodly reason, this is now an offensive post?

Holy Christ -- my point stands -- the wussification of America is complete.

8. zagoshe

Every time I think it is complete, I'm proven wrong as there is always even further some people are intent on making sure it goes......

9. zagoshe

OK, because I respect and like Buck a lot and he's a great reference and generally levelheaded and a stickler for accuracy in posting......

"Yep, this is more evidence that the process of the wussification of America is still moving forward at a very rapid pace......"

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Porch Monkey!! We're taking it back!!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Since when was racism illegal? Maybe in the minds of the political correctness crowd, but certainly not in any law books I'm aware of.

It's like a kindergartener saying "teacher, he called me a bad name".

If these people want to mount a PR campaign against the team, that's within their rights. But the court rightly refused to get involved in this stuff.

It's bad enough that some colleges are being forced to change their nicknames in the name of political correctness. In their case, it's the NCAA forcing or pressuring them to do so. So if the NFL wants to take up the issue with the Redskins, so be it. But the courts need to stay clear of what a private business chooses to call itself.

12. writing irish

I also feel that the courts should stay out of it. If an NFL team wants to have a racist name, so be it; free country.

Colleges and universities that receive public funding are a different matter- they're accountable to the general public in a way that a business is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted