1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Course: Ethics 101. Student: ESPN. Grade: F. March 10, 2019

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I might be alone in this, but broadcasters have always operated as "salespeople" for sports and teams. Reading ads, promoting other things etc. I don't consider this some ethical breach of journalism. The only real journalists at events are sideline reporters.
    Is there that much difference between the WWE announcers and what we see on NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC ESPN?

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I want to be upset but my outrage reservoir for ESPN ran dry years ago.

4. DanOregon

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's not just Mendoza, but breaching the church/state wall is old hat in Bristol. Berman was endorsing a restaurant chain for a while. Darned if I can recall which one, though, which tells how well it worked.

6. DanOregon

It's funny, back in the day I remember how appalled I was when news reporters started opting for clip-on mikes instead of the hand-helds. I've always thought the difference between a journo and a personality was whether they held a mike or not. If you are using your hands to "perform" or better sell the story - you're not a journo. It sounds silly, but the more I think about it - and how I view the TV news magazines, the walking interviews etc. - I think I'm right.
    And let's not get into how ESPN downgrades sports properties it doesn't broadcast and how it pumps up those it does. How most of it's "journalism" is focused away from professional sports leagues.

maumann likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a breach. Nobody apparently gives a shit, but it's a breach.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here who thinks Mendoza’s just not good in the broadcast booth?

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s wrong.

I could give a shit if Kenny Mayne is selling Fords, but she covers baseball and this is a baseball team.

I still like the MLB guys the best even if they are paid by the league. The TNT guys on hoops are the best in the business, though.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Those pregame national broadcast pow wows with the teams should be interesting ... why would you as a rival ever give her any info that might be useful to the Mets?

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  11. DanOregon

Is the thinking that Mendoza might get inside info from one team and give it a team they're playing?

And as bad as that would be - I imagine the growth of sports wagering will be even worse with some of these loose ethics rules.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

She's working on player development and roster construction with potential access to inside info .. .. Is the Nationals manager going to tell her how his outfielder fixed his swing when she works for the Mets and could then help those pitchers get him out? Can she use any of that info from those sessions to suggest trades/players to target?

Obviously on some level any Met employee could listen to the broadcast and glean that info from any announcer... But when the ESPN person youre talking to is drawing a check from a team in your division thats got to send up reg flags

Draft saved Draft deleted