1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Courier-Journal nightmare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, May 2, 2010.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How do you know people read a 20-page section about one event? I never have unless I was being paid to read all of it. Do readers really "love" a 20-page Derby section more than they love a 10-page Derby section? There's no measurable way to say they do or don't. If we asked them, they'd probably always say give me more, but that does not necessarily mean they want to read it and will. It's like piling two pounds of fries on someone's plate--very few people are going to eat that many, it's all for show.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Exactly! :)

Seriously, you'd hope different segments of readers will find different things to enjoy.

C-J Derby coverage is a good example, actually. They had a lot of horse racing (full-page graphic about how the race went, jockey, etc.). But they also had full-color spreads on the fans, the hats and fashion in general.

Horse players won't give a rat's ass about the hats and the fashion. Some readers won't give a rat's ass about the horse race. It all adds up to a constituency where everybody finds something interesting about those 20 pages.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think the question is whether people read it, or that it's journalistically important - it's whether people buy it or not.

If I went to the Derby, I'm sure I'd pick up a Sunday paper - throw it in a plastic bag and stack it in my closet with other papers I've saved. Anyone know what the press run normally is for the Derby Sunday as opposed to normal Sundays?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Special sections will always have their niche. Until the economy picks up we may not see on a national basis, say, big college basketball, football or baseball preview sections (unless you're a college baskets or football hotbed like Louisville and Lexington, or you're Omaha and it's CWS time).

I would think, unless ad departments at those papers aren't even trying, that these sections will sell. Indy advertisers want to be seen in the 500 special section. Louisville, same for the derby. Omaha for the CWS.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Two things strike me as odd here:

1. Is the nearest printing facility they could use in Indianapolis? I always thought there were emergency use-our-press contingency plans, even between competitors. I know we had them in the Quad-Cities, and the QC Times had to use its competitor's press several times due to flooding/electrical emergencies. The papers were delivered late, but at least subscribers got them.

Which leads me to ...

2. If you can distribute the papers to stores and sales racks by Sunday afternoon, why can't you round up as many drivers as you can find, or call in some of the daytime staff, to deliver to subscribers then? I realize overtime is like poison to newspaper execs, but it's one of the most important editions of the year.

Massive, massive fail. You can't predict weather or power outages, but you can prepare contingency plans for them. I've never heard of a mid-sized or bigger daily failing to somehow get the paper out, even if it's late. Pathetic.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I am sorry, this is unacceptable for a paper the size of the LCV. You have to have backup contingencies. Late? Sure, get it out that afternoon. But, to just bag a day is unacceptable. Cincy or Indy has to print it, insurance should pick up the transport cost, and you should always get your section out.

Draft saved Draft deleted