1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Courier-Journal nightmare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, May 2, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. At least there was nothing going on in the Louisville sports world Saturday. ::)

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100502/NEWS01/100502007

Electrical problems with the printing press caused Courier-Journal home subscribers to receive only the pre-printed sections of the Sunday newspaper - Forum, Business, Travel, Comics and the advertising inserts. Those sections were expected to be delivered by 9 a.m. The remainder of the Sunday newspaper containing the A-section, Metro, Sports and the 20-page special Derby section will be delivered with Monday's paper, according to Chris Apel, vice president of finance and operations.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Awesome fail.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Apparently on the front of that Forum section is a column from the publisher saying the C-J and the newspaper industry are "alive and well."

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Does it include the line, "We'll continue charging you for a worthless doorstop of a Sunday paper, while giving you our stellar coverage for free online. For those of you who have computers and Internet, from those of us who still fiddle around with printing presses."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure people will be super eager to read the special 20-page section on the Derby. A day later.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

So what do the newspaper readers miss that they couldn't have read online yesterday? Hmmm, maybe that double-truck photo spread on women's hats? Truth is that the content was already a day late if it had arrived on doorsteps this morning.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Point is, a lot of people who still subscribe to newspapers do so mainly for the Sunday paper. Sitting around with your coffee reading the Sunday paper is a ritual for a lot of people. And it's hard to do when you're rushing to get out the door for work on Monday morning.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In defense of the C-J, the area did get hit by incredible severe storms on Saturday.

It's about all I can defend. Whatever happened to getting out the paper quickly and on time??

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Holy shit...I'm not sure we're giving this the gravity it deserves when we start discussing reading habits.

The Courier-Journal -- the LOUISVILLE Courier-Journal -- can't deliver a home newspaper with Saturday's news ... on Sunday morning ... the day after ... the KENTUCKY DERBY?

Sportsed, unless people have just decided that newspapers are now completely irrelevant -- and that day may be coming, but it's not here yet -- then this is about as bad a confluence of circumstances as it gets.

And I'm not even blaming the C-J staff at all. Shit happens, and the weather issues were terrible up there yesterday. But this is incredibly bad luck, and the worst possible day out of 365.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good points, SF. I gotta believe Harry Bryan's downing bottle after bottle of something right now.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Kentucky Derby Special Section is Delayed and Depraved.

/jokefromafriendistole

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They lost all those copies that would sell at the Louisville airport today. That can't be an insignificant number. And who knows how many other people buy the paper today in Kentucky because it's their Super Bowl. Yes, they can now get it Monday, but only a fraction will.

I don't think it's an indictment of the industry. But like SF said, it's spectacular bad luck. And bad luck for that Forum section and publisher's story to be something that actually did show up on doorsteps.

Draft saved Draft deleted