1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couric on CBS News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

First of all, the French woman is beautiful. To quote from a movie,

"Pretty is pretty while young. Beautiful has something to do with bone structure..."

... And French anchor lady is beautiful.

But why can't American anchors get away with wearing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Because you don't hear much about Puritanical French.

Wait, what I mean is, what skin? All I see are eyes. ;)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Don't forget him either

[​IMG]

And, for chrissakes, put your hands down, Jerry!

5. Lugnuts

No, it's not because of those guys. It's because we Americans think:

"If she's sexy, she's not smart."

"If Katie Couric is showing leg, she can't do the news."

You're either "Six Toe" Linda Cohn -- by all accounts a knowledgeable person....

Or you're "Double D" Lisa Guerrero.

One, or the other.

Unlike the rest of the world, Americans seem to have this hellbent need to "categorize" women.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't think we're that dismissive. Rather, I think we pay so much attention to what's considered appealing (or to others, taboo) that we don't look to see what's beyond it.

We're quite superficial in that we prefer style over substance. Otherwise, Helen Thomas could have landed in an anchor chair 25 years ago.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm just bothered by the fact that CBS execs hauled her out from behind the desk specifically for the purpose of showing off her legs. "Look at our pretty new anchor!"

I don't care who's delivering the news or how they look, as long as they do it well. CBS apparently believes that showing off Katie's legs and having her do the news from a Today Show-style barcalounger is the way to go. I happen to disagree.

There's nothing puritanical about it. Even the french lady is behind the desk. I view the Today Show as total garbage and emulating that style of broadcast on the nightly news reduces its credibility in my view. If they had Matt Lauer sitting in the lounge chair it would bother me.

Katie's inane interview questions only make me wonder more why she's now an anchor.

8. Lugnuts

So if Couric were behind a desk with a lowcut top on, it wouldn't have prompted this thread?

Look -- Brian Williams has asked just as many inane questions since he took over. Trust me -- I watch him all the time (actually think he's good most of the time.) And you don't hear people talking about his stupid questions or comments.

It's not just you, pern. And it's not just men. If we're honest--- really, really honest for a second:

We ALL have a really hard time reconciling 'sexy' and 'smart' in female authority figures.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Luggei (french spelling)--I wouldn't expect a professional male broadcaster to go on the air with his shirt unbuttoned to mid-chest....I wouldn't expect him to go on the air in a muscle tank top....or skin-tight jeans. It's not professional, and it sends a weird message. Same for the women.

I have no problem with the Katie flashing her legs, I had more of a problem when she wore black patent leather stilletto boots on Today--a bit much for 7 am while interviewing Tony Blair.

It's up to a sexy and smart woman to make that work. Diane Sawyer is perfect...maybe because she's past the age of being viewed as a pop-tart, but she's elegant and beautiful and classy, and smart. Tough to find that perfect balance, but she does. Katie still sometimes looks as if she trusted her stylist too much, against her own better judgment.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Luggy,

Point taken. Post modified.

I think people want their anchorpeople to look professional and credible. Since I haven't seen Ms. Couric on CBS (nor do I plan to), I can't judge if she doesn't look professional or credible when she shows a little leg. She always looked OK on the Today Show, but that's a far cry from the CBS Evening News.

But I imagine there would have been conversation if Walter C. had worn a Nehru jacket or leisure jacket, or even a sweater and tie, all of which were acceptable fashion during his reign on CBS, don't you think?

11. Lugnuts

micro guy - I hope you know I wasn't getting on you - just teasing you a little. ;)

Brian Williams looks like a raccoon sometimes because of too many hours in the tanning bed. You never hear anyone pick on him for that.

He wore friggin' JEANS to interview the President in that idiotic "walk and talk" they did.

Now, if you want to get on a network for they way they "position" an anchor, PLEASE gripe about that. Williams and Bush did an entire 15-minute interview "walking" through New Orleans - Ugh. As if they'd just run into each other in on the street - sleeves rolled up and all!

I kept picturing the photographer, the audio crew, the lighting guys, and the Secret Service walking backwards in this whole staged, weird-ass production. Fake, fake, fake.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Brian Williams' eyebrows freak me out. Somebody tranquilize them! And I haven't seen Katie Couric on CBS. But I'll listen to a woman dressed classy/sexy, and at the end of the day the substance will matter. But I did miss seeing the Frenchwoman; since I can't understand French (the language, that is), substance isn't an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted