1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couric on CBS News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, I know Katie Couric has nice legs. Splendid. Do I need to see them on the nightly news? I guess I should be glad they're not Bob Schieffer's, but seriously, how about instead of trying to 'sexy up' the broadcast to increase ratings, they -- you know -- actually do some good reporting?

A story was on about counterfeit drugs being sold online. Katie to the CBS Chief Medical Correspondent: "What makes counterfeit drugs so dangerous?"
    You can't figure that one out on your own, Katie?

"How can you know whether you're ordering from a real, reputable company or a scam artist?"
    "Well, Katie, you can log onto CBS.com."

This broadcast is making me sick. :-X

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I think the cure is to turn the channel.

Also, I'm not so sure they're trying sex up the nightly news. I think the more likely goal is to appeal to the "Soccer Mom" demographic. I don't know many guys who are tuning in just to see Katie's gams.

3. If CBS has Strong Bad read the news - the ratings would go through the roof.

Why are they even still pretending to be journalists over at CBS?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As bad as it can be, it's better than enduring close to six years of someone pretending
    to be a fit POTUS.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Katie's what, five feet tall? My legs are almost as long as all of Katie. No way can she have glam gams. :)

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bullshit threadjack. Read Ender's Game for perspective. As long as you have the briefcase with codes that can light up the night sky, you're very much the POTUS.

Take your own advice, Move on.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Back on topic: Sept. 11 2006 tipped the nation's hand -- they'll never turn to CBS now when real news breaks out. Might as well turn to the Oxygen network.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

My favorite question in that interview; "Why are people doing this?" Umm, I don't know....maybe because it's an easy way to make money?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Excellent point....
    And it would be like those guys tuning in to Entertainment Tonight to see "leggy" Mary Hart...
    No Mas...

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Let's have Katie take on Pat Buchanan in a leg press contest.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought Diane Sawyer had the leg market covered in TV news.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I've been a Today junkie going back to Jane Pauley's day. And, yup, that was me out on the plaza in the background whenever in Manhattan with a free a.m. But legs? Only devoted watchers will remember Katie hurdling in Athens (when the stars of America's First Family had to try out different events). Curiously (not really) it was the only one of these segments left out of the show's end-of-Olympics highlights package. Hurdles, not flattering. Bottom line: Her legs look good on the set when she's sitting and flexing. Standing though ... she could sue the city for pouring the sidewalk so close to her ass.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted