1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couple breaks up on airplane. Tweets on it go viral.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, read the Patrick Kane thread in Journalism Topics. There's lots of discussion about "knowing" and "believing," led by me.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Typical Tony. You challenge others, but dodge and run when the same challenges are turned back upon you.

But hey, at least you admit you don't know anything. That is a positive step.

JC likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard a few stories from waitresses at a nice restaurant that said they've seen more than a few messy breakups. The guy is dumb enough to figure she won't make a scene in a nice restaurant. The girl figures she's about to be proposed to since they typically don't go to nice restaurants and he said he had something serious to discuss.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He didn't dodge anything. He said he doesn't know -- he believes. Does that not answer the question?

old_tony likes this.
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Typical OOPsie. Expect someone to make a claim that no one alive today has the capability of making, then claims he's won the debate. A human being simply would have admitted the difference between "believing" and "knowing," but not our OOPsie.

I neither dodged nor ran. I am a believer. No one is a "knower" when it comes to religion and God. And because I admit I don't "know" for sure about God (but I do, most definitely, believe), OOPsie tries to say that means I said I know nothing about anything. Just more of the same from OOPsie that has everyone on this board wondering what the hell his mother did to him growing up.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have taught him that it is my understanding that:

(1) the Old Testament is mythology;
    (2) Jesus was a real person and we believe that the events of the New Testament really happened as it says they happened;
    (3) I believe there is a God, but we can't prove it, and I believe he/she is beyond my comprehension to understand, so I don't try.

7. outofplace

He is hiding behind semantics. That is a dodge.

That said, he sure seems comfortable pushing his lack of knowledge on others.

8. outofplace

Wrong again, Tony. I didn't claim you admitted to know nothing about anything. I pointed out that you admitted you know nothing about G-d. In other words, as usual, I confronted you with the truth and you responded with evasion and a personal attack.

That admission on your part is interesting given how comfortable you are pushing things on others when you aren't even sure about them yourself.

My initial point remains. You challenged Dick's claim about what his child knows, saying it was only what that child has been told, yet you evade my challenge in response. By all means, replace know with believe. Is it what you believe or what you have been told.

Now try again and answer it honestly.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought for sure the dumped woman would be the most annoying person on this thread.

But she's no better than third.

doctorquant, HC, Riptide and 7 others like this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hi LTL!

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You misspelled sixth.

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bumgarner is fourth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.