1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coup attempt in Turkey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jul 15, 2016.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, "war zone" IS accurate.

He received training? Big hearty laugh there. "Likely to get home to the embassy/consulate." No. Those were not our instructions. Stop guessing. Your post is incredibly ignorant, insulting and uncalled for.

I went to bed at 2:30, heard more planes and rioting in the distance, and got more than one official message saying despite media reports, it wasn't over. (Thought I think it is now.)

It's now 7:30 a.m. and it's quiet where I am, but I have no idea what residual action is out there. And I learned that in my section at work, we do have some people unaccounted for, which is contrary to what I thought last night. I didn't get any more updates after 2:30. (Thank God; I was exhausted.)

BP23, if you'd like me to try to track down him/her, please PM me with the name. I can try to find out. Ankara or Istanbul?

RickStain, Inky_Wretch and bigpern23 like this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Hammond said no need to worry. Can't imagine why anyone would be the least bit nervous.

Mr. Sunshine and RickStain like this.
  3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I look at what is actually happening and who is being affected before getting too nervous. I'd be more scared of an ISIS or Kurdish rebel attack than this, where the targets were limited in scope.

The government's response will be far worse and wide-sweeping for the average Turk who opposes Erdogan.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

#coupsplaining

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Muh that's a holiday weekend in Chicago

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Great. A NATO ally has essentially declared war on us.

How soon until we extradite this guy to Turkey to assuage an Islamist dictator!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

'Cause, you know, he has a much better grasp of the situation than the foreign service officer on the ground there.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

This is a classic. A guy who runs a diner in East Stroudsburg PA.
    has staged a coup in Turkey. I wonder if he is a Penn State fan

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If a Turkish butterfly flaps his wings in Pennsylvania ...

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's a commercial jet overhead? #fsobootsontheground

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted