1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coup attempt in Turkey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jul 15, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's not in putins best interest

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Moderate John Kasich's political adviser:

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Police officer.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If that pic's authentic, then that photographer has balls of steel for getting that shot when that gun was pointed damn near at him.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

CNN has a series of seven AP photos and video of shooting. I shudder to think what didn't make the wire.

I was in Ankara on Saturday.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Pulitzer prize for photography contest is over. Jesus Christ what a photog.

HanSenSE and FileNotFound like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was just going to comment after seeing those photos that the gunman looked well-trained. Ugh, how awful. And, to echo others, that photog has a set of brass to get those shots.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but after saying it's "an embarrassing security failure in the Turkish capital," shouldn't there be more information on how he got in the building. Not familiar with the laws in Turkey, but in the US off-duty police officers can carry their weapons pretty much anywhere (with a few exceptions). Maybe it's not the same, but if an off-duty NYPD assassinated a diplomat in an embassy, would it be called an embarrassing security failure?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It looked to me, if I read the story correctly, like he was part of the security detail (albeit off-duty, perhaps hired by the art museum?). I would hire more senior police with more to lose - family, retirement, etc., than young officers who could be idealists with very little to lose and more apt to strike out and make a political statement.

But, yes, embarrassing. Insider threat screening is becoming more and more of a research interest and policy driver. Here in the US, that research is being driven more on the cyber side by what Manning and Snowden did. "Extreme vetting" is something that will become more of a reality, and such techniques do not just apply to immigration policies and Muslims. [Any US political discussion belongs on the new golf thread - I'm throwing this out here in relation to what happened in Turkey yesterday and to answer cj. Can discuss this further on the other thread.]

Draft saved Draft deleted