1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Country music -- the new hair metal??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Despite some sloppiness in his argument, a Billboard editor makes a persuasive case here.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/hear_now/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002315463

Perhaps the biggest story never told is that many exiled hair-rockers found shelter in Nashville, where they quietly worked their way into the fabric of country-pop. In Nashville, faded denim and cowboy boots still ruled without irony and country was yearning to rock, longing to overcome the dull days where Garth Brooks ruled with the valium charm of an Idaho strip mall. Hair-rocking under the radar for years, the spandex vets just kept doing what they did best: write giant hooks and big-hearted power ballads, throw in soaring shut-eyed guitar solos and try to get away with it. They did.

Last year, Bret Michaels, frontman of Poison ("Every Rose Has It's Thorn"), snagged a seat on the jury of "Nashville Star" (USA Network), relaunching himself as a true Nashville expert. Another hairspray hero, Cinderella's Tom Keifer ("Gypsy Road"), is still working on a solo album in Nashville where he moved to in the mid-90s, not very far from hair vocalist Mark Slaugher of Slaughter ("Up All Night").

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unskinny bop, y'all.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

He forgot Ron Keel, lead singer of Keel, who recorded a couple country albums before forming a new hard country rock group.

I will now light myself on fire.

I love me my hair metal something fierce, but I don't care if Don Dokken, Rikki Rockett, Mark Kendall and Nikki Sixx form a country supergroup. I still dislike all non-Dixie Chicks country.

4. sportsed

sportsed Guest

And DLR just released an album where he does three or four VH songs a la bluegrass (including Jump).

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I love Nikki Sixx. I would disown him as my ex-future husband if he ever did anything country.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You should disown him for the God-only-knows what he's got from years of heroin abuse.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Wasn't he clinically dead from an overdose once? I'm sure his brain still functions well.

Oh, and a Tom Keifer country album . . . I'd totally buy it. The third Cinderella album was my fav, and it very much had a blues/country feel.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I once had to interview Ricki Rockett about his hatred of the dairy industry, and I wish I was kidding.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Donna D'Erico left him a couple of months ago, after they'd been together for 15 years. I was stunned. She held on through the rough times but now?
    Weird.
    And yes, SC, he was once clinically dead.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah he's a hard-core vegan.

The ozone layer? Not such a big deal to him.  :D

And SC, Kickstart My Heart is about Nikki being brought back to life after his big heroin OD. He stumbled out of the hospital and shot back up. Idiot.

PS: Flash, I read Nikki cheated on Donna AGAIN and that was the last straw. She even stayed with him after he fucked the Hole drummer who toured with them when Tommy was in jail. Too bad, they had a few kids together and Nikki always talks about how he wants to be a better father to his kids than his dad was to him.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Aw sucks. I thought he was on the straight and narrow. Reminds me of an interview with Shannon Tweed where she pretty much called bullshit on 'all the women' Gene has been with. Sounded like she keeps a pretty tight rein on him.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Further proof that men are just fucking dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted